• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

96 XJ Rear Wiper/ Fuse block Diagram

BigG

NAXJA Forum User
I'm working through the minor gremlins in my 'new' 96 XJ I picked up. I don't have the Owner's Manual, so if someone has a link to a PDF of the Manual or an image and description of the Fuse block under the driver's dash, that would be great.

What I am working on now, the rear wiper arm was broken off. I have gotten a new arm, pulled the remnant of the old wiper from the post with some PB blaster help, and rubber malleted the new one on. I will still need to fix the washer hose nipple that was broken off. The problem I have now is the rear wiper motor does not work. I'm hoping it's just a fuse, but I need to know which one. The rear washer pump still runs fine, and makes a nice squirt gun for tailgaters, right now.

It's very common for the output shaft of those wipers to seize up from corrosion. Before going too much further, make sure the shaft can rotate. If you grab the wiper arm, you should be able to wiggle it at least a little. If not, then it's probably seized solid, and won't work anyway.

Sorry I don't know which fuse controls the rear wiper on a 96. Make sure you check not only the fuse panel inside, but the power distribution center under the hood (big black box on passenger side) where some of the fuses and relays can also be found. If it's a blown fuse you should be able to tell visually.

I don't know what the 96 wiper motor is like. On my 87, it was serviceable, but the one on my 99 was put together with rivets, and not serviceable (in theory). To unseize mine I had to mill the rivet heads off and redrill the case for screws. Whether a fully seized one can be brought back to life is a gamble. My 87 stripped its gears.

Anyway, if yours does still turn, you're lucky, and you should make sure you keep it limber with frequent use, because it can be a PITA to fix.

Yeah, I bet it's seized up pretty good. No telling how long ago the arm broke off.

I wasn't asking for an FSM, I was asking for a view of the Owner's Manual that comes with the Jeeps from the dealer.

Still copyrighted material, owned by Chrysler, and against the rules to post on this forum. If someone wants to sketch a diagram of the fuse box or take a picture of the fuse box, that is ok. Posting copyrighted material is not.

Still copyrighted material, owned by Chrysler, and against the rules to post on this forum. If someone wants to sketch a diagram of the fuse box or take a picture of the fuse box, that is ok. Posting copyrighted material is not.

Fair enough. Any suggestions where I might be able to obtain a replacement Manual for cheap? Or is it better to rely on a FSM?

For the owners manual, check the glove box of a few XJs in your local junk yard. For a used FSM, ebay or this forum, just have to search and watch for them.

Back