• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

quick question...

jmeti000

NAXJA Forum User
Does anyone know if the metal hatch from the newer cherokees will line up properly and seal on the body of the cherokees that came with the fiberglass hatches? I know the hinges dont line up but thats not an issue...im mainly just concered about it sealing right for my lil project.

Thanks,
Jmeti000

As far as I know it should not fit properly due to the change to the "rounded" tail light style in '97. I could be wrong however, I've never tried it.

Well, im not planning on using the bottom portion of it. Is gonna be cut in half and only the top half will be used. I just need to know if it will match the old style on the upper half to seal up.

if you would've asked this question a month ago i could've bolted it up and tried for you. but alas the top is gone and the hatch is ready to cut. i can however take some measurements of both hatchs for you.

when you say seal, do you mean so you can use it as a hatch to open and close, or just to graft in and close off the rear after chopping the top?

if you just want to chop the top, sure it'll fit. just need to trim the bottom outside edges a little bit so it sits level with the roof line.

if you want to actually mount it so it opens i don't think so, for a few reasons.
1. the 97+ hatch is about wider, so the body lines will look goofy as hell
2. the seal surface is different. see pics below

this is the seal surface for a 97+ hatch

hatchseal97.jpg

this is the seal surface for a 96- hatch

hatchseal96-.jpg

there is about 1/2in difference in depth from the seal surface to the outter edge as well, where the 97+ hatch is deeper than the 96-

3. the hinge mount pattern is totally different 97+ is about 28 5/8 inside hinge to inside hinge, where the 96- is about 34in. i could have those numbers backwards. either way the aren't the same

4. the hinges are totally different aswell

96- hinge next to 97+ hatch where hinge should bolt to

hatchhinges.jpg

hope that helps

Back