• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cooling fan won't come on

vn_grnt

NAXJA Forum User
Help.
Stock 2001 XJ 4.0L automatice 4wd.
I'm in the heat in Haiti.
Today it started heating up to 220 and not going down like normal when the aux fan normally kicks on. When I got home, I opened the hood and checked and sure enough aux fan no work, with or without A/C on and temp staying at 220.

The fan works when I jump 12 v to it, but there's no voltage getting to it, (fuse is good,plus I swapped to be sure). I swapped the two relay's in the fuse box because they fit, one was for the aux cooling fan and the other was for the ASD; anyway, it still didn't work. Now if I understand the system right, (and I probably don't), if the A/C is on, then the fan should also be on automatically regardless of water temp. So since I tried it WITH the A/C on and the fan didn't come on, that rules out the temp switch correct? If it isn't the temp switch, the fuse, the relay, there are no burned wires in or around the fuse box, AND the fan does work with direct 12v, I'm stumped. Tomorrow, I'll ATTEMPT to find a new relay, just in case the two in the fuse box weren't REALLY compatible.

Any suggestions will be helpful as getting stuck here on the side of the road can be.....rather sporty when you're all alone. My normal work vehicle (armored Landcruiser), is in the shop with broken suspension.

Thanks very much,
BTW, I already ordered the Stant superstat 195 thermostat, new 16lb radiator cap and NAPA 272310 HD Clutch fan just in case.

Im pretty sure for the 2000 xj the fan isn't always on with the A/C. but it should come on at around 212F deg. I had this same problem once and it turned out to be the Connector at the fan, I just spliced in another connector. You might want to check for 12V after the connector when yur temps are up high.

Im pretty sure for the 2000 xj the fan isn't always on with the A/C. but it should come on at around 212F deg. I had this same problem once and it turned out to be the Connector at the fan, I just spliced in another connector. You might want to check for 12V after the connector when yur temps are up high.

Correct. The fact it does not come on with the AC on 2000+ years is still a mystery to me (as is why they picked the 2000 year to change it...all other years the fan comes on with the AC).

I would also look at the connector, as well as the wiring. Start poking around the wiring with a volt meter and see where you lose 12V.

Thanks for the replies, good stuff.
Skreed, great gouge! I disconnected the temp switch and the fan DID come on.......soooo, I'm gonna go out on a limb and say "temp switch"?? Does that sound reasonable?

BTW, the orange check engine symbol also came on after I disconnected and reconnected the switch and wouldn't reset until I disconnected the battery and reconnected. I'm assuming that's normal.

You guys may have saved me a few hours I really couldn't spare with your help. Thanks again.
EC

The PCM controls ALL auxiliary fan operation starting in 00.

The point the auxiliary fan should come on is about 217 degrees.

You could pull the CTS--coolant temperature sensor--from the thermostat housing and clean the body of any built up scale, that is often enough to get it operating again within specs.

Also, clean the connector where it attaches to the CTS.

Back