• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Siphon or pump off old gasoline from a 2000 xj

urbanXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Why does my hose not get to the gasoline? I have half a tank left, but the hose end dosn't even get wet with gasoline. It feels like it's hitting something in the tank that is blocking my hose form reaching the liquid.

My XJ is currently a sitter, just needs some work to get street legal

I had a full tank that had the Stabil added with the gas but its taken me a good month to get that first half tank burned. Now I want to pump or siphon out the gas and burn it in my truck so the XJ can get a fresh tank.

Any ideas or do I just let it run in the drive way all day for a few days?

there's nothing that should be in the way, maybe you're getting hung up on something. Try a different hose?

disconnect fuel line at te pump, attach rubber hose to fuel pump outlet, Jump fuel pump relay to run pump constant from the battery. You'll have it empty in 5 minutes.

hey that's a pretty damn good idea

disconnect fuel line at te pump, attach rubber hose to fuel pump outlet, Jump fuel pump relay to run pump constant from the battery. You'll have it empty in 5 minutes.

that is the best way to do it. i tried the same on my 98 with the plastic tank. seems they may have some kind of safety device on the tank. incase of rollover, or just for theft issues, or vandalism. i tried siphoning and it wouldnt work. needed to do the fuel pump with 3/4 of a tank. haha. i just dropped the tank and worried about it then. but to the point, yeah, siphoning doesnt work. fuel pump it out.

The biggest problem with siphoning is that most hose has a built in curl. The end does not go to the bottom but ends up at the top. You can sometimes rotate the hose and get it to the bottom. I grew up on a farm and siphoning gas is a required skill.

Theres an anti-siphoning/rollover valve on the 97+ plastic tanks. I was lazy, I just popped the pump ring off and stuck some hose in there and waiting until my DD was full. I dont really like the idea of just wiring up the pump real quick cause you dont wanna run the fuel pump dry.

5me6ft.jpg

Xwhatever on the pump method, disconnect the supply line, then pop the hood, yank the fuel pump relay, and use a piece of wire to jump from the socket for pin 30 to the socket for pin 87. When fuel stops coming out, remove the wire.

thanks everyone

Back