• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

98 Automatic XJ - Do I have a CPS?

jonnycat

NAXJA Forum User
I have read of the need to replace the Crankshaft Position Sensor after ~120k miles (I'm at 145k right now). When I go to look for a part number, I'm told it is not available.

Is the CPS something only used on manual tranny XJ's in my year?

Yes you have a Crankshaft position sensor. It's on the bell housing driver side towards the top. The plug on your 98 is near the manifold driver side. I'm not sure that I would just change it to be changing it though.

Yes you have a Crankshaft position sensor. It's on the bell housing driver side towards the top. The plug on your 98 is near the manifold driver side. I'm not sure that I would just change it to be changing it though.

I recommend having a spare, but I wouldn't change it just to change it.

Agree, don't change it just to change something, and I prefer the dealership for this item.

PS--find a different parts store that has counter monkeys with higher intelligence levels.

Okay, thanks guys. I haven't gone anywhere physically, since I like to guy OEM for stuff like this, but I haven't been able to find one through any of the online OEM dealers.

Anyone got a line on an online OEM dealer with this part?

That $89 crank sensor from Chryslerpartsdirect sounds good. Genuine mfg. part.

The crank sensor from Jeep has been found to be the most reliable. And I personally have had mixed (poor) luck with aftermarket crank sensors. Quite a few others have found themselves doing this job more than once as well with certain (not all) aftermarket units.

Thanks laws, I looked on the chyrslerpartsdirect site, searching for the sensor (using the "drill down" function), but when I got to the page listing the sensor they say "N/A" for the auto (manual is listed, but it's listed at $97.50). Also, in the "parts fiche" I have, there is also no part number listed (there are numbers for manual, though).

The part number you mentioned above does show up in a search on chyslerpartsdirect, but there is no verification that it is for my application; where did you get that number from in reference to a '98 with AW4?

[edit] Okay I found it in the fiche. but it's just one number listed for ERO (4.0L engines), with no differentiating between manual and AW4. Hmmm. So I guess they use the same sensor for manuals and AW4?

[edit02] Okay I called the local stealership, and they gave the same part (actually superceded with -ac), so I guess it's the same for manual and AW4s. They, of course, want $135 for it, which ain't gonna happen, so I'll pick one up from CPdirect.

Thanks for the help.

Last edited:
yup, the tranny does not matter. the CPS is for the engine computer so it knows what angle the crankshaft is at, the transmission computer and/or transmission do not care.

where did you get that number from in reference to a '98 with AW4?

Mopar 1997-1999 Cherokee parts catalog. Probably the same one you're looking at. It doesn't differentiate between the trannies for the Crank Sensor. It does have a different number for the 2.5l engine though. I assumed you had the 4.0l engine with that AW4.

Back