• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Now that my 4.9 Stroker is almost finished....

KJurasek

NAXJA Forum User
Now that my Clifford 4.9 Stroker is almost finished, I am already thinking ahead. I am going to play around with the 4.9 for a little while, but I am already thinking about dropping in a LS6 with a L60E (or similar automatic) behind it. The 4.9 should make around 300 hp. I will get some pictures and results from the engine dyno. I figure the engine is good for between 12 and 15 mpg. Rather lame for the hp. The LS6 is good for about 500 hp and more like 15 - 20 mpg (maybe a little less).

The thought on this is simple, I would rather have more hp and better mpg. I know it is more work dropping the LS6 into the XJ, but the 4.9 was a bit of a pain building. There is so much more support for GM LS series of engines.

Does anyone have any input on this?

Let me know.

:moon:

Yep -
forget about MPG as a factor once you start talking about an LS6. The investment won't pay off for a long, long time.
That being said, brace the unibody with a cage & frame plating. Expect to run a pretty stout axle if you want to run any kind of tire at all.
Oh - and check out some of the adv-fab threads - the Chevy v8 is getting more common as a Jeep powertrain...

Wanting power is understandable, but talking about mpg in the same sentence as the cost of putting in an LS6 sounds kind of crazy. You can buy a lot of damn gas for the cost of another motor.

But, who wouldn't want an LS6 if they could have one? Who cares about the fuel mileage.

Back