• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

O2 sensor - Engine Light code P0161 - stock 2000 cherokee sprt V6 4.0

NickfromNY

NAXJA Forum User
Autozone CEL print out below.

Here's the story,

Just picked this up from a reputable dealer. Jeep passed inspection, drove about 50 miles. Light came on on a cold night while idling. No other noticeable probloems or sounds, knocking, rough idle etc. This is my 2nd XJ so I can easily say there is nothing noticeably wrong with her. Drove about 50 miles today with light on and still nothing out of the ordinary.

I'm non technical but am fine pulling a fuse or replacing a sensor so long as I know where exactly it's located. Don't have any diagrams tho.

thanks for the help. New here and glad to be involved. Many thanks!

p0161cel.jpg

p0161cel.jpg

Last edited:
Autozone CEL print out below.

Welcome to NAXJA :)

Just picked this up from a reputable dealer. Jeep passed inspection, drove about 50 miles. Light came on on a cold night while idling. No other noticeable probloems or sounds, knocking, rough idle etc. This is my 2nd XJ so I can easily say there is nothing noticeably wrong with her. Drove about 50 miles today with light on and still nothing out of the ordinary.

Couple of possibilities:

1) Dead oxygen sensor. What's the mileage on this XJ?

2) Bad sensor wiring. Less likely but still possible.

There are others, but those are the two usual culprits.

I'm non technical but am fine pulling a fuse or replacing a sensor so long as I know where exactly it's located. Don't have any diagrams tho.

It's pretty easy from underneath: follow the exhaust down towards the rear from the manifold. As you head towards the back, you'll notice some cylinders with wires sprouting out of the top that are screwed into the exhaust itself. Those are your oxygen sensors. Removing them is easy: unplug the wiring connectors, put a wrench on them, and turn. With any luck they won't be rusted in place ;)

Here's the fun part: determining if your XJ is Federal- or California-spec emissions. Where it was bought or originally sold doesn't necessarily matter in this regard; looking is the best way to tell.

Method 1: lift the hood. On the driver's side against the firewall there will be a large white label. There will be something to the effect of, "This vehicle complies with all [...] standards for the 2000 model year" written on it. Replace "[...]" with Federal and/or California as appropriate.

Method 2: As you locate the oxygen sensors, keep count. If you only have 2, it's Federal emissions. If you have 4, it's California emissions. Federal-emissions vehicles will also only have one catalytic converter; California-spec vehicles will have two catalytic converters and a pre-cat near to the exhaust manifold.

Reason I mention this difference is that the part numbers for oxygen sensors are different depending on whether it's California- or Federal-spec. Make sure you get the right ones for your particular setup. I suspect that you're going to be California-spec, though - NY has used CA emissions standards for some time now, and the printout mentions Sensor 2, Bank 2 as being bad. My recollection is that Bank 1 applies to the two sensors closest to the manifold on both Federal- and CA-spec XJs; Bank 2 only appears on CA-spec XJs and refers to the two rearmost sensors.

BTW: if you've only got 50 miles on this since you bought it, you may want to take it back to the dealer and see if they'll take care of it. Probably a long shot and your call, but figured I'd mention it.

Last edited:
Thanks!

So, only 93k miles. JUST passed inspection which required an 80 mile roundtrip drive prior to inspection since a new battery had just been installed. I'll check according to your spec. What about fuse location tho?

What about fuse location tho?

Check this thread for the fuse numbers and locations. FWIW, I believe the oxygen sensor fuse is located in the PDC (underhood, passenger side against inner fender) - and something's telling me it's a relay, not a fuse.

You'll want the diagram contained in that thread for the main fuse panel, BTW - if you look on the back of the fuse panel door in your model year for the legend, it will refer you to the owner's manual. The owner's manual will helpfully refer you back to the fuse panel door :D

BTW: it's not a V6, it's an I6 - the cylinders are in-line.

Last edited:
The fuse for the heated oxygen sensor "circuit" on a 2000 XJ is indeed under the hood in the power distribution center. Black box, passenger side.

Jeep in their infinite wisdom, decided not to put a legend to all the fuses to help out in times of trouble. Never could quite figure that one out.

However, because this fuse blowing is not all that unusual, I think I remember it being around slot 16-17, but don't hold me to that. Check em all!

Last edited:
Back