• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gross Combined Vehicle Weight Rating

Root Moose

NAXJA Forum User
Does anyone have an owner's manual handy for an XJ or an MJ?

I am looking for the GCVWR for both vehicles (assume 4.0, auto, etc.).

TIA!

Nope, only the GVWR is on the door jamb, not the combined (i.e. towing gross weight, GCVWR).

maximum trailer load for an automatic 4.0 XJ/MJ is 5K pounds, same as what the ClassIII hitch is rated for, convenient that it corresponds.

manual XJ/MJ were rated at 2K pounds I think, but only because AMC/Chrysler didn't want to replace burned up clutches, or when AMC originally came up with the numbers they did it based on the BA-10/5 capabilities.

I can attest that anything over a utility trailer and your rear spring packs will hate you. trailer brakes highly recommended for anything large.

Max trailer load or towing capacity is not the same as the gross combined vehicle weight rating.

Anyone one have an owner's manual for either vehicle handy? It will be in there.

Excellent! Thank you!

Anyone with a MJ owner's manual out there? I'm hoping they are really close to the same.

Back