• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

SCORE at the junk yard!

ericfx1984

NAXJA Forum User
well I found a 97 cherokee sport with a lift kit on it... all the cars are up on blocks at this yard so I am not sure what size the lift is

not sure how much lift but I pulled the springs

they cost me $20 for the pair

the springs are black, and have 2 more coils than the stock springs, they are also a little thicker

it had a pretty new Rancho RS5401 steering stabilizer, I pulled it, cost me $4

I did not pull the rear leafs, but there was an XJ up country sitting right next to it and the up country had less arch

also the rear leafs had 5 leafs instead of 4, I am certain that it was not an AAL setup because the bottom leaf was pretty thin (the rear leafs would cost me $50 for the pair if I bought them)

there was an after market rear drive shaft from fast shafts

I did not notice a drop on the transfer case

the track bar said 'Made in Canada', but other than that it looked to be normal

no after market control arms and no control arm DB's

the shocks are shot! but after cleaning up the rust I was able to get a part number... 650409, that part number is a Rough Country shock part number, as far as I can tell these shocks came in the ZJ 1 3/4" lift kits... so they should be go to 3" or so on an XJ...

my guess is that this is a 3" lift kit

at the other junk yard I went to (before this one) I got a set of S10 Blazer rear springs for $50

I plan to build a bastard pack, relocate the shackle, install the lifted front coils and then make a cheap coil spacer to make up the difference

or do you think it would be better to return the s10 rear leafs and get the rear springs off the lifted XJ???

so based on the info I included what size do you think this lift is? thack bar is in stock position and seems to be stock, has stock control arms and does not have control arm drop brackets

Last edited:
This is the Modifed Tech Forum.

What is your QUESTION?

Edit: I just saw your other thread with the actual question in it.

Perhaps it would be better to keep it all in one thread.

well I found a 97 cherokee sport with a lift kit on it... all the cars are up on blocks at this yard so I am not sure what size the lift is

based on the info I have can any of you guys ID the kit for me?

am tell me what I should do in the rear

the springs are black, and have 2 more coils than the stock springs, they are also a little thicker

I did not pull the rear leafs, but there was an XJ up country sitting right next to it and the up country had less arch

also the rear leafs had 5 leafs instead of 4, I am certain that it was not an AAL setup because the bottom leaf was pretty thin (the rear leafs would cost me $50 for the pair if I bought them)

the track bar said 'Made in Canada', but other than that it looked to be normal

the shocks are shot! but after cleaning up the rust I was able to get a part number... 650409, that part number is a Rough Country shock part number, as far as I can tell these shocks came in the ZJ 1 3/4" lift kits... so they should be go to 3" or so on an XJ...

at the other junk yard I went to (before this one) I got a set of S10 Blazer rear springs for $50

I plan to build a bastard pack, relocate the shackle, install the lifted front coils and then make a cheap coil spacer to make up the difference

or do you think it would be better to return the s10 rear leafs and get the rear springs off the lifted XJ???

so based on the info I included what size do you think this lift is? thack bar is in stock position and seems to be stock, has stock control arms and does not have control arm drop brackets

the track bar said
'Made in Canada', but other than that it looked to be normal

whatever you do, never, ever pass up on the opportunity to buy quality, and if it says "Made in Canada" you know it's quality.

seems like it could have be pieced together lifted Cherokee your looking at. for the prices your stating, why not grab whatever isn't stock. worst case you end up with more lift then desired... if you were thinking about a bastard pack anyway it gives you more options to customise the lift and ride.

you can't really base lift size on coils and sizing, too many variables. same with leafs in a pack.

get what you can, make it what you want.

ok I returned the s10 blazer rear springs... in the morning I will be going back to the bone yard and getting the rough country rear leaf springs...

also I noticed that there is a transfer case drop kit installed... snagging that

and the rear axle has a pair of shims... snagging those....

based on this and the info in post #1 I think it is a 3" kit...

any one agree or disagree?

also the drive shaft is a slipyoke style

Last edited:
here is a pic of the front coils

note: miller light bottle is to help judge size

DCAM0035.jpg

yep, no doubt about it, those are coils.

LOL

Congrats on the junkyard score. I'd go back and grab the rest, if you can. Worst case you can sell it on ebay!
I built my Jeep mostly from parts that i've picked up at various junkyards. Rancho springs, LCA's, AAL's, shackles, etc. I've been trying to keep mine as "low buck" as possible.

yep, coils AND leaf packs, you sir have them both.

for all those who were holding it... you can go back to breathing again.

Miller light...gross.

Back