• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Pre-Planning stages, help me out.

intothewild

NAXJA Forum User
I apologize in advance for the long thread, but appreciate the replies and any links you have would also be appreciated.

I'm in the pre-planning stages of deciding exactly what I'm going to do with my XJ. The plan, is for it to be capable of long self sustained trips. I'm not a crawler or looking to set it up for hardcore wheeling. I do however want it to be as reliable, functional, and self contained as possible.

What I currently have: 87 Limited, 4.0l.

Engine: Was supposedly rebuilt about 60k miles ago, no paperwork from previous owner to prove it though, so I'm not sure. It does run well, but uses a little oil. Has pacesetter header, and highflow exhaust.

Trans: AW4, rebuilt 2 years ago, with paperwork. Shifts and works flawlessly.

Transfer Case: NP242, No SYE

Axles: Stock D30/D35 (Non vacuum)

Suspension: 3" using rough country components, previous owner pulled lift parts out of a junkyard rig.

Steering: Stock

Tires: 31x10.50 Wildcat ATs on TJ wheels.

The plans:

No more than 4" of total lift, debating on ripping out the current suspension and starting from scratch, so I know exactly what I have underneath me.

Also debating between staying with the 31s or if I should go 33s, either way, I will stay 10.50. I don't want a 12.50 or wider tire.

Gears, either 4.10 or 4.56. Would like at least one locker. Upgraded steering. Winch.

I want to outfit with either a multi functional sleep platform with storage etc underneath, or a roof top tent. Not a huge fan of big roof racks, but one might be necessary to carry some other gear.

Also want to run a dual battery setup, already have a 136amp alternator. Would like to do an on board air system.

Now for the questions:

1: I want to upgrade the steering. What would you recommend for the box? I've read about the Durango boxes, would this be sufficient for my plans? If not, should I go with something along the lines of PSC box? What about tie-rods, pitman arm and other steering components? What would you recommend?

2: 4.10s for 31s and 4.56 for 33s, or should I just go 4.56 no matter the tire size and be done with it?

3: With the dual batteries, should I upgrade to a 180amp alternator or will the 136 be good?

4: Are there any other ways to improve fuel capacity than the filler mod? Should I call it a day with the filler mod and some jerry cans? Has anyone run dual tanks on an XJ? I did a search and that didn't turn up much info.

I've had so much running through my head with ideas for the jeep, so of course when I come to make the thread I go a bit brain dead. I'm sure I will think of other questions, but in the mean time I appreciate any replies and suggestions on my current ideas/questions.

not sure where you would put a 2nd fuel tank. unless you wanted to take out a whole lot of room in the back and run it as a gravity feed reserve tank. my vote would be the jerry can idea. i'll see if i can find a link to this site that has slim 5gal fuel cans.

don't know about any of the other stuff. but most expedition type builds i've seen have been running 33's. it's probably a personal preference

1- For 4" and 31's or 33's, just upgrade the tie rod and add a steering box brace. Money is better spent else where.
2 - If the truck is going to be loaded with lot's of gear I would say 4.56 for 31's, 4.88 for 33's
3 - If your running lot's of extra lights or some other continuous high electrical consumer then higher amp will be good, but otherwise a 136amp is fine.
4 - Can't help you with this one other than find a some more space for some jerry cans.

1. Durango box, and ballistic fac 3/4" heim steering
2. 4.88 and 33's, your going to do 33's eventually anyways (I had 4.56 with 33's and I wanted deeper)
3. I'm not great with electrical stuff, but the way I see it is the more power the better (unless you are melting wires)
4. Dual tanks is dumb and extra heavy. A tank of gas will get me through a weekend easily but if youre worried get some jerry cans

Thanks for the links. I like the 32 gallon tank..$580 is pretty steep though. Filler mod and Jerry can's might be the way to go for now anyways.

How are 4.88s on the freeway? Don't want to be cruising at 4k rpm. After more thought, I'll definitely be going 33x10.50..Just want to make sure 4.88 won't be too much gear to drive comfortably for long distances.

Also found one from Aero Tanks. 30 gal for $348 part # CWS-30 on this page.

Still pretty steep, but I'm considering it, just need to see if CARB will let me put one on my 98...

As far as gearing goes 4.56 seems to be the general recommendation for 33's and works well. If you plan on ever going to 35's do 4.88 gears now. You'd have to do a lot of driving for the lost mileage to cost more than setting gears twice. Besides, a healthy 4.0 doesn't mind high rpms. Toss in lockers now too if budget permits.

My $.02

Back