• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'96 XJ Base model speaker wiring

BigG

NAXJA Forum User
I've done some searching, but can't find the details I was looking for. I just picked up a 'new' 96 XJ. Base model, no sound bar, and pretty sure no tailgate speakers. I plan to find a junkyard sound bar to put in, and add some 6.5" 2-way speakers up there like I had in my previous XJ. I haven't torn into panels yet to look. Will I find rear speaker wires behind the spare tire panel?

The stock radio (no cassette) has a fader switch, but it does not do anything. So I'm wondering what I will find on the wiring harness behind the dash when I go to put in my after market HU once the weather gets above freezing again.

Thanks. How about for the fader part? Am I going to find the front and rear wires crossed together on the harness, or is it just disabled within the head unit?

don't remember...... I'm getting old.

What ever it was, it was fairly obvious when I was in there-- I'm fairly sure I just wired it as though the rears were there and added them w/out problem, so I'd assume nothing's tied together in the harness.

Thanks. How about for the fader part? Am I going to find the front and rear wires crossed together on the harness, or is it just disabled within the head unit?

Can't speak directly for the head unit you have, but: some of them internally shut off any speaker it detects as missing, damaged, or improperly grounded. Another possibility is that the head unit can be jumpered for either two- or four-speaker operation; if so, it may disable the fader when set to two speakers.

Whether this jumper would be internal or external in your specific case I don't know, but it may be worth checking the radio's chassis for either a label or stamping that indicates the setting. Failing that... Google.

I'm not too worried about the existing head unit. It's the basic factory install, AM/FM only no cassette. I have a Parrot RKI 8400 I'll be putting in as soon as I won't be freezing my fingers off while doing so. Thanks!

My '96 SE came with under dash wires for tweeters and foot well lights with labeled connector ends. Lights and speakers now installed from the J.Y.

You can swap in almost any options without too much trouble. Best one for me was a full gauge cluster with tach, change two senders and you're good to go.

My '96 SE came with under dash wires for tweeters and foot well lights with labeled connector ends. Lights and speakers now installed from the J.Y.

You can swap in almost any options without too much trouble. Best one for me was a full gauge cluster with tach, change two senders and you're good to go.
I did the cluster swap on my last XJ as well. Definitely on the list for this one this summer once I find one to buy.

I got in the dash and found the answer, there was a secondary harness adapter between the stereo and the jeep's wiring harness. This combined the rear speaker lines to the front speaker lines. I took it out as there is a limit on space inside, and my after market stereo is unusually deep, and had a harness of its own to fit in.

Back