• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear hatch rattle

I've thought about tweaking mine, but haven't done it - keep this in mind as a disclaimer for what I am about to say in the event it is entirely inaccurate.

Based on what I've found, there are two aspects you'll need to adjust:

1. The striker/latch at the bottom rear of the cargo area.
  2. The rubber bump stops on each side of the hatch opening (between the tail light housings and the weather stripping IIRC).

The striker/latch at the bottom has Torx heads up top and nuts underneath (not sure if they're welded on). Loosen them and adjust the depth to which the door closes as necessary. If the door seats up tightly enough (check while it's closed by pulling back/out on the sides of the hatch), then you shouldn't need to adjust it.

The rubber stops will be the easiest to adjust and more than likely the solution to your problem. They appear to be hex head bolts with rubber on the heads - these push back on the door while it's latched to keep the door snug against said latch (and prevent rattling). Unscrew them a few turns and repeat until everything is snug. More importantly, make sure they still actually have rubber on them.

You're basically shooting for a balance between the proper striker/latch depth and bump stop length. Close the hatch completely and get a friend to push and pull against it to see how much play you have and plan your attack accordingly.

I have adjusted the bump stops out all the way and it still clunks like hell. The striker looks like its not adustable...the tops have nothing on them...looks like bare metal but i havent checked the bottom yet

Back