• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wheeling...Tips and Tricks

BOB

MWC geezer
NAXJA Member
1. bring a spare key and secure it outside of your Jeep.
2. have at least a half tank of gas or more when you arrive.
3. do general maintenance....check battery cables, plugs, wires, oil change, brakes, antifreeze, etc before you come to WF.
4. wire up and test your CB Radio and antenna now!
5. check the conditon of your spare tire now.

.....these are just a few ideas.

post up your tips and tricks for newbies and veterans as well.

BOB

dont forget your lunch....
if you think it will break, bring a spare and tools to fix it...
check everything over once, and then check it agian...especially if it is super cold.
if your bringing a camera, check the batteries to make sure they are good
bring plenty of warm clothes
make sure you have a trash bag of sorts for you trail trash or even broken parts
make sure you are well stocked for the camp fire...if you know what I mean :cheers: (this is strictly for after the wheeling, the Badlands does not allow or condone drinking or possession of alcoholic beverages on their premisses)

:anon:

Extra fluids.
If your rig takes a specialty tool for something, bring it.
If a part is on the borderline of failure, change it beforehand.
Bring common sense.
Bring thick skin.
Have faith in your rig and spotter. You can make that obstacle.
On the same token, don't be overconfident.
Have fun.

Leave your pride at home.
Bring a sense of humor.
Do not use shackle to tie straps together.
Plan for really cold weather and wind.
Bring a tire gauge.
check your CB NOW
Make double sure that you meet ALL the rig requirements, I would hate to take your $$ and tell you that you cannot run with us.

Rev

2. have at least a half tank of gas or more when you arrive.
3. do general maintenance....check battery cables, plugs, wires, oil change, brakes, antifreeze, etc before you come to WF.
4. wire up and test your CB Radio and antenna now!
5. check the conditon of your spare tire now.

.....these are just a few ideas.

post up your tips and tricks for newbies and veterans as well.

BOB

if you don't bring a spare key you will lock your dog and keys in the truck outside the VFW.

Back on topic.

1. Bring two jeeps to wheel.

mac 'worked ok last year...but I still had to wrench' gyvr

if your e-brakes work and you don't have a rear locker and need one, try pulling the e-brake a little. Not much, and don't do it while the wheels are already spinning if you like your spider gears.

oh yeah:
SeanR said:
Put your purse down and hammer it.

Bring spare fluids (for you and the jeep) and spare gas. If you are wheeling a d35 bring a spare axle like 95' heep!

All you guys worried about locking your keys in the rig should just remove ALL doors and glass. Problem solved.

all this key talk reminds me. Someone at NACFest locked their keys in their jeep with it running (the alarm was a bit too enthusiastic and did it automatically) and it only took us 3 or 4 tries with random people's keys to open the door.

I accidentally opened my 96's door with the MJ's key a few months back, too. It took me a couple minutes but that lock is normally pretty squirrely so I was just thinking "wow it's getting worse, might want to replace it soon" and only realized my mistake when the key wouldn't start it. The keys look nothing alike.

Even if I did lock all my keys in the jeep, that's what rust holes in the floor are for :gee:

last year i forgot my sleeping bag and pillow. and tent. and food. and water. and spare clothes.

also, dont sleep in the back of your jeep. its the worst sleep you never got.

i almost froze to death, but im glad i stayed.

disco "captain hindsight" steve

Back