• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cutting Fenders Write Up

whitexj98

NAXJA Forum User
I originally cut my fenders a few years ago and ran like that for a while, then I decided to put some rusty’s flex flares on. They worked well, I was DD the jeep so it was nice to not have mud go everywhere but now the jeep is not my DD and I am wheelin harder stuff in rocks and stuff and the fares just aren’t holding up. So they had to go

Result of smashing them into rocks and trees. The rears were the worst but the fronts had some cracks and have torn also.
flares004.jpg

I drilled out the rivets and cleaned them up to see what I had to work with.
Fendercutting004.jpg

Fendercutting001.jpg

Fendercutting003.jpg

I wanted to cut out the most rivet holes as I could but still make it look ok.
So I traced them out with some weedeter line, worked pretty good. I cut them with an angle grinder with a cut off wheel
Fendercutting010.jpg

Fendercutting013.jpg

I used some door edge to clean up the edges, It was pretty stiff becasue it's so cold so I threw it in the mircowave to soften it up!
Fendercutting.jpg

Fendercutting019.jpg

Fendercutting018.jpg

So that finishes the front but now I have to address the rear. When I originally cut the rear I was young and dumb and cut the pinch seam out so I think I’m going to cut higher and have to weld in some metal.
Fendercutting030.jpg

Fendercutting021.jpg

But that’s all for now!

I hope you plan on re-welding the rear fenders...have you read any of the previous write-ups on this?

Yep, like I said I cut it years ago, before I was on this forum and saw the better way to do it and im going to weld them up. But you know I don't think its as bad as everyone talks about. I mean I have been wheeling it hard in rocks and havent seen any negative effects of having them cut into.

x2 on the edge trim. it will stay there for a few days at most. then it shrinks and doesnt stick. i am dealing with it right now

Yep, like I said I cut it years ago, before I was on this forum and saw the better way to do it and im going to weld them up. But you know I don't think its as bad as everyone talks about. I mean I have been wheeling it hard in rocks and havent seen any negative effects of having them cut into.
itll fold like a taco!

x2 on the edge trim. it will stay there for a few days at most. then it shrinks and doesnt stick. i am dealing with it right now
mine always seemed to shrink too. it was noticable in the corners where the arc of the trim would end up being less than that of the arc in the fender. itd come off... adhesive wouldnt work anymore when it got really warm or really cold.

Here's the start of part 2, the rear. Like I said earlier I had cut into the pinch seam years ago when I originally cut the fenders so I knew I was going to have to do some welding to fix it right. So here’s what I started with.

Fendercutting032.jpg

I did the same as the front and traced it out using weedeter line, and cut it out.

Fendercutting033.jpg

Fendercutting035.jpg

Then I moved to the shop so I could use the welder. I traced out the shape onto cardboard to make a template.

Fendercutting042.jpg

This is the awkward looking piece I ended up with. Don't mind the nasty looking metal, just a little surface rust from being outside, But it was free!

Fendercutting043.jpg

I made it to fit right to the edge of the fender and go behind the original inner wheel well. It turned out pretty good.

Fendercutting048.jpg

Fendercutting045.jpg

Fendercutting046.jpg

That's all I got so far. Tomorrow I’m going to fully weld it in and clean it up with the grinder. I have also been thinking what I’m going to do to clean up the paint around the fenders because of having to grind it off and I think I might use linex and border about 3/4 inch out from the edge. I have the lower part of the body already done in linex so it should tie in well.

Back