• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Aussie in 8.8 thrust washer problems

gimike812

NAXJA Forum User
I tried to install my aussie locker in my 8.8 and now have a problem. The problem being I pulled it all apart all internals look great minimal wear. Doing the cross pin to gear spacer tallerance check and the install paper work says I need a minimum of .006-maximum .020. Well with my .030 thrust washers in like the instructions say I have .002 to .001. I went and got new thrust washers the same story. Call a diff. shop and they say the minimum thickness for 8.8 thrust washers is .030. They only get thicker from there. I understand things can be worn and having to much gap but I dont have enough?

What should I do machine my thrust washers thinner to get my needed gap or just install it and run it.

Are you using the factory pin (with cut outs)? Is the pin sloppy in the carrier at all? If so you need to get a hardened solid pin or replace the carrier or both. Other than that what are the tolerances between the couplers on both sides (it's supposed to between .040 and .070 I think)?

Yes I am using the factory pin. I mic'ed the whole staft and its all one consistant measure ment no wear. I pin also fits nice and tight in the carrier no slop what so ever. Right nowI dont have the measurment between the couplers. This 8.8 swap has been a major pita. I was fed up with it and walked away. I will get back to work on it on monday. I am going to get the powertrax hardened shaft and see if that can fix the problem. I just cant believe that Aussie hasent tried to fix this or at least make it known in there insturctions because this problem is all over the internet and has been going on for 2 years now????????????

Is this really a consistent problem with Aussie? I ask because I want to run one eventually and get rid of the spool. maybe call Aussie up?

You need the solid center pin (no cut outs) to make it work. I had the same issue with mine at first the cut outs are to lubricate for the spiders (side gears) that used to ride on the center pin itself, it will not work with the locker. If you take a good look at the function of the aussie it uses the center pin to spread the inner couplers, overcome the spring prssure and lock the teeth together, the cut outs mess that up and make the measurements out of spec.

Last edited:
I encountered that once. I took a diamond hone and honed the surface in the middle of the pin where you take the measurement until it was in spec. The reason you need a gap there is because the parts expand as the diff gets hot.

Back