• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Pitman arm puller-is it required?

beatupcherokee

NAXJA Forum User
I have never pulled a pitman arm. I am going to pull it off my 1990 Cherokee, and I am hoping someone can tell me if a standard gear puller or steering wheel lock plate puller will work for the pitman?

not really, as it's an odd shape that's real hard to get a proper puller on.

Go rent the tool at the local parts store. You'll save a lot of headache.

don't forget that it takes a lot of force to get that SOB off there, mine let loose with a big bang and took a chip out of the concrete where it hit ;)

once you get a good bit of force on the arm, give it a couple taps with a ball peen hammer (not too hard, there are bearings and seals in the steering box that won't like being smacked) to help relieve tension.

not really, as it's an odd shape that's real hard to get a proper puller on.

Go rent the tool at the local parts store. You'll save a lot of headache.

Take advantage of the AutoZone Loan-a-tool program, its free. Don't think twice, get the puller, hit it with an impact wrench.

I got the Autozone loaner. The tool gave out before the pitman arm did. So I took it to a front-end shop. He had a better tool...but still didn't get it off. Finally he took a die grinder and made a deep slot in the side. Not all the way through. Once it got deep enough, the arm came off easily. Hope you have better luck.

The cheap tools have two arms with hooks. The Snap-on tool was kind of a half-cylinder that slipped on from the side.

You guys with your brute force techniques. :)

Shorty has the right way. You tighten the tool a bit, then you tap around the end of the pitman arm with a hammer. You tighten a bit more, then tap some more. Keep repeating and before you know it, the pitman arm will come off nice and easy.

This way, you won't damage the tool, yourself, or the concrete.

Sounds good. Tighten, tap repeat. Use impact if i get lazy. (when) Not worried about the power steering box, it is done. It's been loose and leaking for two years, so maybe the pitman arm will be lubed enough to pop off. I will cut it only if absolutely required.!

once you get a good bit of force on the arm, give it a couple taps with a ball peen hammer (not too hard, there are bearings and seals in the steering box that won't like being smacked) to help relieve tension.

You guys with your brute force techniques. :)

Shorty has the right way. You tighten the tool a bit, then you tap around the end of the pitman arm with a hammer. You tighten a bit more, then tap some more. Keep repeating and before you know it, the pitman arm will come off nice and easy.

This way, you won't damage the tool, yourself, or the concrete.

That is the way to get it done.

Total Pima. Broke one bolt holding on the steering box, spent an hour removing one power steering line. (18 mm flare nut wrench is not all that common @ automotive supply). Also, metric on the gear box end and standard on the pump end? WTF?! And of course I broke the alloy pitman arm puller- tighten, tap, tighten, snap)
At least I kept my soft parts out of the line of fire.
I didn't accomplish near what I planned so why am I so satisfied right now?

Back