• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Squeaky drivetrain... somewhere. ???

GoBlue

NAXJA Forum User
Got a 2000 XJ, ~ 105,000 miles, 4.0L, auto.

A factor: recently put an SYE in myself, did a fine job at it in my opinion.
B factor: has a driveshaft that is a little haggard, could probably use new u- joints, paint, overhaul.

Just last night it started to squeak, and get gradually louder. It sounds almost exactly like a squeaky fan belt, but Im sure its not. I put it in neutral while rolling and it still does it. It also doesn't do it when its in park, and I rev the engine.

I think its either the drive-shaft or the transfer case. My question is, could bearings, like the ones found in transfer cases squeak continuously like this is? I hope its just a u-joint or something simple, but I don't know what to look for.

If there are any ideas out there I sure could use them, especially before I take it in so it doesn't seize up on me, because thats exactly what I thinks going to happen.

Thanks very much.

Centering ball in the front driveshaft double cardian joint needs to be cleaned & lubed (Or replaced).
You do not mention if you have a DC in the rear shaft, if yes it could be the rear.
Search for "Chirping Birds' & you will find tons of info, Good Luck!

I'd agree with checking the front driveshaft. You might be able to pump some grease in there without pulling it as the first test. Otherwise, pull the front driveshaft and take a drive to see if the noise goes away.

A little lube on the shaft will make the squeels go away.

Thanks, didnt know it was a common problem like that. I just got paranoid because I messed with my transfer case without really any idea what I was doing.

I have a stupid question... It sounded like it came from the front DS to me too, but isnt that only supposed to be spinning in 4x4?

Also, what is DC in reference to this post?

Thanks again!

The front driveshaft always spins(unless you have a hub conversion).
DC stands for Double-Cardon.

Back