• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

8.25 drum brakes...

vagabond

NAXJA Forum User
So I am swapping a chryco 8.25 into my 1989 xj (4.0, aw4, np231, d30/d35(thats about to blow up)).

I picked up the housing minus brakes with the intent of doing a zj disc swap, but that didn't end up panning out, so I got 9" drum brake backing plates from a '93 xj.
As of right now I have all new hardware (pads, springs, cylinder, etc.)... Except for those four little bits that go into the drum cylinders and interface into the brake drum shoes. I forgot to pick them up from the old brake cylinders when I was at the hard and they have proved to be rather hard to find new.

So, Anyone know what they are called? If so, what are the important dimensions. Alternatively I will have all the brake bits from my non c-clip d35 brakes w/ 10" drums, including those small push rod things. I figure I might as well ask if anyone knows if it is a common part between the two.

Local parts stores only had about three they could end up ordering and they didn't have a great way to cross reference the things.

Thanks!

...so I got 9" drum brake...

How did this swap work out for you? I have the 10" drums on a Chrysler 8.25 and wanted to do the disc swap as well, but realized it's a pain with that axle and don't feel like paying an arm and a leg for an aftermarket kit that uses odd ball pads that are hard to find or remember down the road.

I recently noticed that the 9" drums have 28% more surface area than the 10"s and was looking into the swap, easy to find the pads/parts at any auto store and it's still factory Jeep.

So is their a noticeable difference in stopping power/less nose dive by chance? Thanks

How did this swap work out for you? I have the 10" drums on a Chrysler 8.25 and wanted to do the disc swap as well, but realized it's a pain with that axle and don't feel like paying an arm and a leg for an aftermarket kit that uses odd ball pads that are hard to find or remember down the road.

I recently noticed that the 9" drums have 28% more surface area than the 10"s and was looking into the swap, easy to find the pads/parts at any auto store and it's still factory Jeep.

So is their a noticeable difference in stopping power/less nose dive by chance? Thanks

It ended up working out well. It took a while to get ahold of the backing plates, but after I found a set of 9" backing plates, I bolted em up, picked up new wheel cylinders, pads, drums, hardware and the other little bits.

I noticed better braking, but I went from a worn out d35 with 10"drums that didn't work to a 8.25 with all new brakes. The brake dive still sucks.

Back