• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Motor difference question

XJOwner95

NAXJA Forum User
i and my mom/her bf both have seperate jeep cherokees and my moms bf once had a jeep wrangler with a 4.0L 6cyl. but it was an HO(high output)
does anyone know the difference between the HO's in the wranglers and the standard 4.0L's in the XJ's??

if the cherokee is a 90 and older model year then it is a renix engine but 91 and newer are also H.O. until either 99 or 00 then they are the PowerTech engines. Basically they are all about the same just with the major difference being in electronics, fuel delivery, and cylinder heads.

For the XJs:

87-90 4.0s are Renix engine management with EGR systems.

The 91-95 are HO--high output--OBDI engine management without EGR systems and higher engine output in HP.

The 96+ are HO--high output--OBDII engine management.

IIRC there was a final change in 99+ for additional HP trying to make up for losses due to more stringent emissions.

in the change from 90 to 91 H.O. models there were some notable changes in the cylinder heads but for the most part they mostly just changed the electronics over the years. basically they just kept tweaking the motor trying to make it just a little bit better from the year before

Back