• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fuel Rail pressure relief

coyotefong

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 2000 Cherokee,4.0 l, I-6
How do I relieve the pressure in the fuel rail if my engine no longer cranks? The service manuel tells me to take out the relay and start the jeep.

This is what I'm trying to do:
Remove fuel rail
Remove intake manifold
Gain access to exhaust manifold

I need to loosen the exhaust manifold so I can get some room to remove the bolt holding my inspection cover on (flex plate check).

I need all the advice I can get.

1. Locate Schrader valve and cap on fuel rail.

2. Remove Schrader valve cap from Schrader valve.

3. With eye protection on, depress Schrader valve stem to release pressure. You will likely want to keep a rag handy to catch any released fuel.

4. Proceed with your project.

I used the hose and adapter from a hand held fuel pressure gauge. Just took the guage off and put the end of the hose into a empty water bottle to catch the fuel.

Mine only dumped what was in the fuel rail. You are more or less just taking the presure out of the line which will prevent you from getting a face full of gas.

All of the pressure will bleed off if given enough time. No pressure, you won't get much fuel from the Schrader. You will loose some when you disconnect the rail. I usually just throw some rags in there to soak it up.

I started taking the fuel rail off, ran into to issues; The locking clip (the red one on the wireing harness) broke off the #5 injector, Will this become an issue? Also I can get the fuel line off of the fuel rail. Is there a way to get it off with out the special tool that the FSM tells me I need?

The only way I know to get the line off the rail is with the special tool. You can pick one up at HF, Sears and/or any Auto parts store for under $10.

Not sure if the clip is a big deal. Maybe secure it with a zip tie?

I normally hate quick disconnects, but the quick disconnect tool I got from autozone worked perfectly. Get the anodized aluminum set with 4-5 different tools in it, not the one-size-fits-none tool. The tool set costs like 20 bucks.

I started taking the fuel rail off, ran into to issues; The locking clip (the red one on the wireing harness) broke off the #5 injector, Will this become an issue? Also I can get the fuel line off of the fuel rail. Is there a way to get it off with out the special tool that the FSM tells me I need?

you can undo the quick disconnects with two small screwdrivers and a third hand I'm told, but I'd suggest you spend the $20 on the tool.

If you've just broken the locking tab off the injector connector it's not a big deal. Just put it back together and secure it to the injector body with a small dab of epoxy. Enough that it stays put, but not so much that you can't easily undo it with a razor blade cut.

Back