• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rear shock mount problem

apaz321

NAXJA Forum User
so my friend was taking off his rear shocks on his XJ and he broke the top mount nuts off the bolts. is there any way of getting those bolts out? i havent seen it yet but im going there after work to try and help him an told him i would post about it. he says its on the driver side rear and they broke off leaving just a little threads on there. from what i remember since the last time i was under mine it seemed to be part of the body. any advise or has this happen to any on else? an how did it get fixed? well hopefully we'll figure it out haha let me know guys if there is any tricks or a solution. thanks

I think I will watch for any handy hints that might be new - I've been spraying PB Blaster on my shock bolts for a week, will try to snug them up or replace them if they won't tighten up this weekend. My pass. side upper shock is rattling around at the top - bolts look like they are not tightened down, but when I tried giving it a bit of a twist, they didn't want to move.

I figured spray the crap out of them for a week and then use some heat rather than risk snapping them (done that before, then tried to drill it out, then broke an easy out in there, then resorted to blasting it out with a torch and rethreading.)

DON'T try an easy out. Just gives you a headache later.

I have found they break free better with an air impact, well more often. If I snap them off I just punch them out and use nuts on the backside. I think the drivers backside is tough to get a wrench on but you can

any advise or has this happen to any on else? an how did it get fixed?

This happens to pretty much EVERYONE else. A quick search will reveal more threads than you can read in a day. I went the hard way by drilling and tapping, but there are other methods you'll find if you search.

Punch "broken shock bolts site:naxja.org" into Google.

Short version- grab an air hammer, punch out the broken bolts/weldnuts, use wire/line to fish new bolts down. I threw some BPEs up there the second time I had to fix mine. Wish I'd done this the first time around.

Back