• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

cherokee no start

Xjcj3a

NAXJA Forum User
my 92 cherokee 4.0 manuel wont start now, first the radio went dead. then after being shut off engine wont start and the alternator guage bounces all over the place. the fuse box sounds like its clicking. any thoughts?

1. Refresh all battery connections. Cables and battery posts until shiny. Connections are often overlooked.

2. Refresh engine grounds. Another thing that is often overlooked and is the cause of many electrical "gremlins".

1. Refresh all battery connections. Cables and battery posts until shiny. Connections are often overlooked.

2. Refresh engine grounds. Another thing that is often overlooked and is the cause of many electrical "gremlins".

I agree with birchlakeXJ, but I would always start with the battery--fully charge it, have it load tested, preferably when it is cold. While that is being done clean both ends of the main battery cables. Renew the unibody ground from the head to the firewall--if it still has the POS braided strap replace it with a 4 or 2 gauge cable. Strip all contact surfaces down to bare metal, treat with an anti-corrosive agent, make the connections TIGHT. With the battery reinstalled do a voltage drop test on the cables. Voltage drop test: http://www.aa1car.com/library/voltage_drop_testing.htm

Post up your results.

Something to consider AFTER you've checked the battery, and cleaned up your grounds:

I'm only mentioning this because of the 'clicking sounds' from the fuse box, and it being a Manual -- but has fluid ever leaked from the clutch master cylinder internally -- I know if that gets into the fuse panel and is not dealt with it slowly eats it away.

i did get it going again, everything worked until today when everything stopped working again. gonna take the battery cables off again and clean the hell out of both.

as for the fluid on the fuse block, i dont think the clutch has ever leaked. fluid is always topped.

The relays can start clicking when the battery connections or battery get marginal. Turn the key on and the relays kick on, hit the starter, starter pulls volt down enough the relays kick off, voltage comes back up since it's not trying to run the starter, lather, rinse, repeat....

did a ghetto test of the alternator, unplugged the battery while the truck was running. jeep died. took the alternator off to the parts store, they tested it and said it was working fine.

ive always thought that if the alternator was working fine, the truck would keep running if the battery was disconnected.

maybe theres a fuse that allows the alternator to recharge?

no idea at this point, really hate electrical issues.

did a ghetto test of the alternator, unplugged the battery while the truck was running.

NEVER do that on a vehicle with any electronics. That's an excellent way to fry the engine computer. In the absence of a battery, the alternator is putting out upwards of 30-volts ac voltage.

NEVER do that on a vehicle with any electronics. That's an excellent way to fry the engine computer. In the absence of a battery, the alternator is putting out upwards of 30-volts ac voltage.

THAT WENT OUT WITH GENERATORS!!!!!!!

NEVER, EVER, FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE DO THAT ON A VEHICLE WITH AN ALTERNATOR AND/OR ELECTRONICS.

did a ghetto test of the alternator, unplugged the battery while the truck was running. jeep died. took the alternator off to the parts store, they tested it and said it was working fine.

ive always thought that if the alternator was working fine, the truck would keep running if the battery was disconnected.

maybe theres a fuse that allows the alternator to recharge?

no idea at this point, really hate electrical issues.

IIRC, the alternator needs a good voltage input from the battery to work. Excitation voltage or something. A bad battery does not supply enough voltage to the alternator, and causes problems IIRC. I never quite understood all the finer details on it.

A 92 alternator is regulated by the computer, right? I would think if the computer had enough voltage to run then there's enough to drive the field coil in the alternator.

Back