• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

just about had it!!! Please help!

offroadman83

NAXJA Forum User
When I first start it up after it's been sitting, it idles rough, and if I drive it and push the peddle down with any force it acts like it's choking, either miss firing or not getting enough fuel. But as soon as the engine warms up it runs perfect. Any suggestions??? I have almost got killed when I pulled into traffic without it warming up and it just choked and sputtered and finally moved . what a close one. Thanks--Kyle

Possibly an injector that isn't closing properly. When that happens you'll have one cylinder fouling badly until the accumulated gas burns off. It would help if you can determine whether the problem is localized to a specific cylinder, or just sort of general crappy running. You might be able to find something out if start up, run briefly, then pull the plugs before it has started to run right again. It wouldn't be a bad idea to check other fuel injection components, such as coolant temp sensor, intake air sensor, etc., and just go around the system checking and replugging all the connectors. On an 87, you also have the notorious "C-101" connector on the firewall, through which all FI functions run. It might be time to unplug and clean that one.

I have already bypassed the c101 connector. I think I wil try the coolant temp sensor as I did have someone mention that to me once before. ----thanks Kyle

How old is the O2 (oxygen) sensor?

any mud or water lately?

Oh yeah, plenty of mud and water lately, pretty much all that is down here-----Kyle

Well got a new tps and it seems to have fixed it, but only have tested once. Will give update on it in a day or so.----Kyle

After a little more testing it didn't fix my problem. Oh well I guess I will look at injectors next.---Kyle

Back