• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4.0 iol filter adapter question

ISPEED

NAXJA Forum User
Anyone ever remove the oil filter adapter that bolts to the block? I know it's a torx, T55 or T60 IIRC, but it's in an XJ and boy is it tight getting the torx bit and ratchet in there. And once it's on we couldn't break it loose.
Need to replace the o-ring behind it.

Any suggestions?

There are a lot of write ups but what I had to do was get a L shaped Torx key and if I remember right got it from over the hood. There really is no secret to it other than to spray it down with some PB and put some muscle behind it.

AND ONCE AGAIN WE HAVE TO ASK FOR THE BASIC INFORMATION.

FYI--THREE DIFFERENT BOLTS WERE USED DURING THE 14-YEAR RUN OF THE 4.0 IN THE XJ.

There are a lot of write ups but what I had to do was get a L shaped Torx key and if I remember right got it from over the hood. There really is no secret to it other than to spray it down with some PB and put some muscle behind it.

that works for the torx bolts, too.^^

Really? And each bolt would have a different way of removing it when they're frozen?

Yep, gee whiz willikers guy--HEX HEAD, ALLEN HEAD, TORX HEAD.

Good luck.

Out of here.

Well Joe, if you read my post you would have seen the word torx.

Don't let him get to yah. Yes there are a lot of write-ups on this and if you search you might find an answer.

But my whole thing is no one "has" to respond so if you don't want to help just hit back and be on your way.

Anyways a lot of PB and try to hit it from under the hood with an L-shaped Torx. Thats at least what worked for me.

dude, it ain't that tough-- all he asked from you was to post the pertinent information so future searchers will know if this info pertains to them--

had you obliged, he probably would have offered up a spot-on link to the easiest procedure.

He might have told you that you could get a socket (T60, I believe) and drive the bit out and use a wrench on it to remove the bolt.

He might have told you that you can remove the two frame bolts for the motor mount and lift the engine an inch or two for clearance.

He might have told you to look down to the bottom of the page you're viewing at the "similar threads" section for all the answers to your predicament.

dude, it ain't that tough-- all he asked from you was to post the pertinent information so future searchers will know if this info pertains to them--

had you obliged, he probably would have offered up a spot-on link to the easiest procedure.

He might have told you that you could get a socket (T60, I believe) and drive the bit out and use a wrench on it to remove the bolt.

He might have told you that you can remove the two frame bolts for the motor mount and lift the engine an inch or two for clearance.

He might have told you to look down to the bottom of the page you're viewing at the "similar threads" section for all the answers to your predicament.

And he might have just asked for the pertinent info instead of responding the way he did.

No worries, someone sent me a PM with helpful info. He said he was afraid of getting yelled at by Joe if he responded in the thread.

That being said, thanks for the replies.

Anyone ever remove the oil filter adapter that bolts to the block? No, I don't think anyone on this forum has done that.

I know it's a torx, Are you sure, have you seen it? If you tell us what year...you get the idea, T55 or T60 IIRC, ...but you're not sure... but it's in an XJ...we all drive XJ's, what year is yours? and boy is it tight getting the torx bit and ratchet in there...there's an easy way to do that without the rachet... And once it's on we couldn't break it loose.
Need to replace the o-ring behind it....there are 3 o-rings, a set, from the dealer.

Any suggestions?

Well, yeah. What kind of XJ do you have, what year, 4.0?

Funny thing is...I said it was a torx bolt.

Depending on the year.

And he might have just asked for the pertinent info instead of responding the way he did.

... said he was afraid of getting yelled at by Joe if he responded in the thread.
Somebody call the WAAmbulance.

The fact that people don't fill out their Jeep info and then expect somebody to solve their problem, like a genie or mind reader would make any of us get frustrated. Hang on for the ride...you may learn something from one of us.

The T-60 from one of those L shaped sets and a 3 foot pipe is what I used from underneath with no trouble.

And not to be a jerk but it really is your fault for not posting the relevent info - if you search anything on here you will see that commandment repeated every few threads.

Back