• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Couple questions on interior lighting for a '96

Deviate

NAXJA Forum User
I haven't had this XJ for long, and it's the only XJ I've ever been in so I have a couple questions:

1) Is the HVAC control panel supposed to be backlit? It's kind of frustrating having to fumble around in the dark to turn the heat down, but I don't want to go through the trouble of pulling it out in the attempt to replace burnt out bulbs if they don't exist in the first place.

2) Headlight switch. If you rotate it counter-clockwise all the way, it "clicks". I would expect this to turn on an interior dome light, but nothin'. Alternatively, the dome light does work when I open the doors. Does this "click" do something else?

Sorry for being such a noob... :doh:

-Lee

I know for a fact the hvac is suppose to be lit. Its a really tiny bulb but should be readily available

Sweet, many thanks. Probably uses the same bulb most other cars do. If that's the case, I've got the old SRS light that I yanked from my Miata sitting around somewhere... :D

Check here for bulb fitment. It beats opening everything up to find that the bulb you have won't fit.

No, that is all the "click" should do is turn on the dome/courtesy lights.

No, that is all the "click" should do is turn on the dome/courtesy lights.

Hmmm, interesting. I wonder what's screwy in there then. Guess I'll have to track down a headlight switch to see if that resolves it. Kinda odd that the dome light works when the door is open, but not when that switch is turned on.

Thanks for the info, folks. It's most-appreciated. And thanks for not making me feel like an Uber-noob for asking such stupid questions. :D

On a side note, damn. The XJ uses different backlighting bulbs than my Miata and BMWs. Figures; I've got trays full of BMW bulbs at my disposal...

A little cutting, a little soldering, some duct tape--voila!

Dome/courtesy lights are unswitched, so you need to find out why the ground isn't being provided from the light switch like it is from the door switches.

Back