• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

front axle bindage

low'n'go xj

NAXJA Forum User
First, 94 cherokee sport inline six, aw4, np231, stock axles so dana 30 up front and 8.25 in rear. Boosted 4.5 inches. Backing up in four high something binded up so the jeep stop in idle with almost full turning radius. Putting in adjustable lca's tonight. But my main concern is the white plastic rings around the axle shaft are not In place as far as I know. Any help would be great.

White plastic rings are only there to keep big stuff out of the axle tube. If you want to seal it then get some of the "superior" or other brand axle tube seals .

Whats binding up--? You should NOT be in 4wd on any non-slippery surface ,and at full lock -no less- all 4 tires are turning at different rates

Do you have a locker by chance? I know when I out in my lunchbox locker I forgot to put in my thrust washers and it caused my front axle to bind up real bad also. Put in the washers and all works perfectly now.

No locker. Was just checking if the issue was at one place or the other. I know not to run 4wd on dry pavement. Right now it only binds in 4wd. Don't get the bind in 2wd. Almost feels like my driveshafts are going out or?

No locker. Was just checking if the issue was at one place or the other. I know not to run 4wd on dry pavement. Right now it only binds in 4wd. Don't get the bind in 2wd. Almost feels like my driveshafts are going out or?

Is it binding in 4WD under steering lock, or going straight ahead?

You have an NP231 transfer case (no centre differential), so you will get steering bind the more lock you feed it regardless of whether it's in high- or low-range. Straight ahead, you should be OK unless there's another issue at play here.

You mentioned that the plastic rings aren't in place. Has the axle been opened up recently for some reason?

I did the hubs, that's about it. There is a popping from what looks like lca's. Putting in my adjustables in tonight. Eliminate that and see what happens. Does fine going staight, just turning in 4wd. Had similar issue before I got my toe aligned. Have not changed anything sense that though.

Does fine going staight, just turning in 4wd.

This sounds like the expected behaviour for an NP231. Is it somehow worse than it was previously?

Haven't used 4wd before that much on this one. Never notice it before.

Let me ask this: what is your prior 4WD experience with? Makes, models, and (if possible) years would be handy to know. The reason I ask is that depending on the vehicle in question the 4WD system may behave differently to what you're experiencing with your XJ.

Fluid is fine, checked that this past weekend. Any ideas to start looking at?

Honestly, it really sounds like what an NP231 does by design in the circumstances you're describing. Swapping it with an NP242 (which adds a centre differential and full-time mode suitable for use on firm surfaces) would be your best bet if steering bind in high range is something you want to eliminate.

This would be my 3rd xj lifted. 85, 88, and now 94. First np231 I have had. Other 4x4s 79 suburban, and nissan king cab 85. Out of the people I trailed with before naxja, i have the most knowledge with xjs. I am trying to get all the knowledge I can.

This would be my 3rd xj lifted. 85, 88, and now 94. First np231 I have had. Other 4x4s 79 suburban, and nissan king cab 85.

Okay. So the '85 would have had an NP207 (part-time case), but the '88 had an NP242 (full-time case)? Can't speak as to the Suburban or Nissan, but I'd guess that those were both part-time cases.

This is where I'm getting confused: with the exception of the '88 (assuming it had an NP242), all would have behaved similarly to the NP231 you have now. Now, that's not say that there isn't a problem - but in the absence of supporting evidence, it really does just sound like it's doing what it should under steering lock.

Out of the people I trailed with before naxja, i have the most knowledge with xjs. I am trying to get all the knowledge I can.

No worries; understood. Just to clarify, I'm not trying to run you into the ground over this - I just really can't see where there's a potential issue given how what's happening has been described.

No worries! That's why I posted here, talk to people that know more and have worked on more than me. The 85 was vacum controlled and the 88 was np242. Idk. I'll pay with it on loose ground and see if its stil there. Thanks for all your help and knowledge!

No worries! That's why I posted here, talk to people that know more and have worked on more than me. The 85 was vacum controlled and the 88 was np242. Idk. I'll pay with it on loose ground and see if its stil there. Thanks for all your help and knowledge!

you cant put a 231 in 4wd on solid ground (concrete, asphault, etc..) itll cause it to bind up and break. the 231 needs slipage like snow, ice, sand etc

Are the gear ratio,s the same -or-similar--4.09>4.10>4.11 ?

Back