• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

SAF T KEY

88 Wagonman

NAXJA Forum User
I was looking through the packet of stuff I got from the previous owner of my 1991 Cherokee when I came across this thing. Anyone know what it is or does? The only unique feature this XJ has is the remote keyless entry, but I don't know if it is related or not.
IMG_0084.jpg

IMG_0082.jpg

i had a 91 yj with this. as far as i could tell it was an electronic kill key, because when i took it out it would not start... the plug on mine was located under the dash about drivers right knee position.

Last edited:
I had a 97 TJ with something similar to that installed on it, about the same spot but above my left knee. It was in fact an anti-theft device. It was installed at the Jeep dealership (I'm guessing to help prevent vehicles from being stolen from the lot given the neighborhood it was in) and they would try to upsell you on keeping it and/or use it as a negotiating point when you purchased a new vehicle from them. They would also remove it at your request upon purchasing the vehicle. I bought my '99 Cherokee from the same place, but they had traded another dealership for it and never bothered to install one since I picked it up the day they took it into inventory.

Thanks for the replies. I will look and see if I can find it, I am assuming that this one is a spare since it runs and drives.

Back