• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

engine/tranny getting hot

M1A1TankerTom

NAXJA Forum User
my 89 comanche 4.0/AW4 gets pretty damn hot while im wheeling. Usually its when im only going up hill. While going up hill for about 35 minutes yesterday it got up to around 240 degrees. I dont have a tranny temp guage but I know my tranny was pretty darn hot also because I could feel it through the floor. When the temp got up pretty high I could barely smell a slight "burning" smell. When I would level out on flat ground the temp would almost instantly begin to drop. I just replaced my water pump, radiator houses, and thermostat about a month ago and was hoping these replacements would help with the heat problem but they have not. Any ideas on what is going on or what I should check?

Did you burp the cooling system when you filled it?

I believe the fan clutch and radiator is original. The electric fan was on the whole time, I put it on a switch and had it turned on the whole time I was wheeling. I had a shop do the water pump and all that so I am unaware if they "burped" the cooling system.

hmmm...thats kinda what I was thinking. I think I might be picking up a new radiator and a new tranny cooler. Nothing worse than constantly checking your temp quage while your out wheeling just waiting for the dreaded overheat light to come on :(

Test your fan clutch. It should turn constantly at 30 percent of shaft speed and at 60-70 percent of shaft speed when engaged. The bi-metal spring on the front of the fan clutch will start to move when the air passing through the radiator and hitting the spring is at 170 degrees (coolant will be about 30 degrees hotter than that).

This is the test from the FSM 90 but it will work for any year:

From the 90 FSM:

"The cooling system must be in good condition prior to performing the test outlined below to ensure against excessively high coolant temperature.

CAUTION: Ensure that there is adequate fan blade clearance before drilling.
(1) Drill a 3.18 mm (1/8 in) diameter hole in the top center of the fan shroud.
(2) Insert a dial thermometer -18 degree to 105 degree C (0 degree to 220 degree F) with an 8 inch stem, or equivalent, through the hole in the shroud. Ensure that there is adequate clearance from the fan blades.
(3) Connect a tachometer and an engine ignition timing light (to be used as a strobe light).
(4) Block the air flow through the radiator by securing a sheet of plastic in front of the radiator (or air conditioning condenser). Use tape a the top to secure the plastic and ensure that the air flow is blocked.
(5) Ensure that the air conditioner, if equipped, is turned off.
WARNING: USE EXTREME CAUTION WHEN THE ENGINE IS OPERATING. DO NOT STAND IN DIRECT LINE WITH THE FAN. DO NOT PUT YOUR HANDS NEAR THE PULLEYS, BELTS, OR FAN. DO NOT WEAR LOOSE CLOTHING.
(6) Start the engine and operate at 2400 rpm with the timing light (strobe light) aimed at the fan blades. Within ten minutes the air temperature (indicated on the dial thermometer) should be 88 degrees C (190 degrees F). Satisfactory operation of the fan drive requires that it engage before or at 88 degree C (190 degree F). Engagement is distinguishable by a definite increase in the flow noise. The timing light will also indicate an increase in the speed of the fan.
(7) When the air temperature reaches 88 degrees C (190 degrees F) remove the plastic sheet. Satisfactory operation of the viscous fan requires the air temperature to drop 20 degrees F (11 degrees C) or more. A definite decrease of audible fan air flow noise should be noticed. Replace defective fan assemblies."

EDIT: also, seriously consider changing your transmission fluid--a complete "poor man's flush" for about 14 quarts. If you are running Dex III it is only good for about 30k miles max. When overheated by just 20 degrees that life is cut by 1/2. Heat destroys the fluid, bad fluid causes slipping, slipping equals heat.

:patriot:Judging from your screen name and the fact you maybe stationed in california where you A1 Abram guys are stationed. Thank you for your service it is much appreciated.

Back