• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Oil Filter upgrade

teamwestoutdoors

NAXJA Forum User
I read a post at one time about upgrading to a larger oil filter for the 4.0. I have been searching for that post and can't seem to track it down. It's time to change the oil before the season starts and I want to upgrade to a bigger filter but can't find the part number. Any help?

It is a Ford V8 oil filter.
For Mobil it is the M1-301 filter.
For Motorcraft it is the FL-1A filter.

About 1/4 of a quart or so. I think the real benefit is that it has a lot more filtering media so you can run longer change intervals.

I'm always tempted to do this but I also like the convenience of being able to pick up a six pack of oil at Costco, dump it all in,and call it good without having any extra oil bottles sitting around in the garage. Guess buying one extra bottle of synthetic every four oil changes (at auto parts store prices) wouldn't kill me...

Hold on here,it depends on what year engine your refering too! The early XJ's have metric threads.

you have to change the threaded part of the oil filter adapter. read:

well as many renix owners know, there arent much in the way of oil filters out there. at least not the the extent that there are for the HO 4.0's. but there is a way to be able to use tons more oil filters, including the same ones HO 4.0's use. the reasons for doing this are more options for oil filters, and larger oil filters which is always a good thing. so i will go over how this is done, its very simple
here are the parts:
new filter- Purolator premium L30001, old filter, new adapter
IMG_0001-23.jpg

first you obviously remove the old oil filter.
heres the adapter. any dealer stocks this part and it's around $7.
IMG_0002-25.jpg

you will also need to remove the housing as well with a 16mm wrench
after you remove the housing, you will need to remove the threaded adapter inside the old housing and replace it with the new one.
but in order to remove the old adapter, which is a few inches long, you will need a crescent wrench to remove the old one, but chances are that it is stuck in there pretty good. so i had to cut off the unthreaded portion of it in order to get a 22mm socket on the adapter. i recommend wiping down the housing before you cut it.
IMG_0004-19.jpg

IMG_0005-14.jpg

IMG_0006-12.jpg

IMG_0007-12.jpg

once you cut that off you can remove the adapter with the wrench. you will need to use compressed air, brake cleaner or something to blow out the metal shavings in the housing. and after that you can install the new threaded adapter, either side works as they are both the same. i had to use a crescent wrench to tighten this one as i didnt have the right size socket. but be careful not to nick the sealing surface that the filter will be against.
IMG_0008-13.jpg

IMG_0009-11.jpg

this is also the perfect time to replace the housing o-rings, also a common dealer item.
IMG_0003-22.jpg

after you replace the old o-rings you can install the housing and new larger filter.
IMG_0010-10.jpg

IMG_0011-12.jpg

and here is a list of what oil filters you can now use on your renix:
LARGER THAN STOCK (note: most of these can be used on a stock 91+ XJ with the horizontal housing. they are also readily available at most parts stores)
Ford FL-1A
Wix #51515
Napa #1515
Amsoil EaO15 "Nanofilter"
Baldwin B2
Baldwin B2-HPG
Bosch 3500
Denso 150-1004
Donaldson P169071
Donaldson P550008
Fleetguard LF3313
Fleetguard LF3487
Fram HP1
Fram PH8A
Fram TG8A
Fram XG8A
K&N HP-3001
Mobil 1 M1-301
Mobil 1 M1-301EP
Motorcraft FL-1A
Professional's Choice Q1A
Purolator PremiumPlus L30001(the one i used in this write up)
STP S8A
Supertech ST8A

MUCH LARGER THAN STOCK (note: these can ONLY be used on renix XJ's with with vertical housing. and these arent as easy to find in stock at most parts stores, though they can order them)
A/C Delco 2142 (forgot the leading letters)
Fram PH977A
Napa #1773
Wix #51773
Motorcraft FL-299
FL-299 Equivalents
Baldwin BT237
Baldwin BT251
Donaldson P550299
Donaldson P554407
Fleetguard LF697
Purolator PremiumPlus L40017
"GIGANTO" Filter
Napa 1714/Wix 51714

and where i got the list from:
More than you want to know about 3/4x16 oil filters(and some for 20x1.5 too)[/URL]

Thank you RCP Phx!

1990JeepXJ has it right.

THIS IS WHY IT IS IMPORTANT TO ALWAYS POST UP YOUR BASIC INFO WHEN ASKING FOR HELP.

Everyone except RCP Phx and 1990JeepXJ was sending this guy down the wrong road.

AND THAT IS WHY PEOPLE SHOULDN'T START POSTING UP "ANSWERS" UNTIL THEY KNOW THE BASICS OF THE VEHICLE BEING WORKED ON.

Great write up 1990JeepXJ, I believe that's the post I was looking for. :party:
Does that adapter have a name I can use to ask the overly self medicated college kid behind the parts counter?

Great write up 1990JeepXJ, I believe that's the post I was looking for. :party:
Does that adapter have a name I can use to ask the overly self medicated college kid behind the parts counter?

Just ask the counter monkey for the part number shown on the end of the box above, runs about $9.

Back