• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4wd swap with 88 Xj on a 98 Xj 2wd?

Nickytuner

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 98 Xj 2wd and i just got a 88 Xj 4wd for free!! Can i swap the 4wd to my 2wd?? Will the T-case bolt up to my Auto trans?? Change or leave the harness?? What else will i need to compete the swap?? Thanks for the help!! Im new to this Forum stuff! Thanx again!

Not going to happen - at least, not directly with the '88 components. The one major issue that I can see here is that your '88 transfer case has a 21-spline input, but your '98 transmission has a 23-spline output. Basically, unless one or the other is changed to match, they won't mate up.

If the transfer case in your '88 is an NP242, you're in luck - the front axle doesn't have a vacuum disconnect, so that at least can be moved over wholesale and a later transfer case (NP242 or NP231; doesn't matter) can be used. However, if it's an NP231, it'll have the vacuum disconnect on the axle; you'll need to disable this before using a later transfer case.

Those are the two big considerations in all of this, but there are a lot of details I've left out. If you're really set on getting a 4WD donor to swap components from into your '98, look for a '91 to '99 model; check spline counts on '91s as some were 21-spline and some were 23-spline.

Transfer case will not bolt up to the 2wd trans without tearing it down and swapping output shafts. Don't try this unless you know how to rebuild the AW4 transmission, because that's essentially what you'll be doing.

Also, you have some speed sensor issues. The 98 transmission control unit is going to be expecting 4 pulses per revolution of the output shaft while the 88 speed sensor only sends one pulse per revolution. Sensors can be swapped, but I'm not sure it's worth the effort.

If you're set on a 4wd cherokee I would either sell the 98 and dump the money into building the 88 or sell the 88 and by a wrecked 98 as a parts car for the 4wd swap. I converted my 98 to 4wd using a wrecked 98 I bought of craigslist for a few hundred dollars. After parting out what was left of the parts jeep after the swapand selling my 2wd transmission I broke even on the whole deal.

so i just need to change the input shaft on the t-case?? I know i should get a 98...but i got this 88 for free and it is good shape. I need a list of what i need for the swap..can you guys help?

so i just need to change the input shaft on the t-case?? I know i should get a 98...but i got this 88 for free and it is good shape. I need a list of what i need for the swap..can you guys help?

NO. You essentially need the A**END of a 4wd AW4, and even if you had that you have to essentially tear down the whole transmission to change everything over.

IF you can locate a 4wd AW4 transmission and transfer case together then you have a fairly simple job, preferably out of a 98+ 4wd XJ so you won't have speed sensor issues. As you are in CA you don't need the PCM throwing CELs and failing inspections.

Transfer case will not bolt up to the 2wd trans without tearing it down and swapping output shafts. Don't try this unless you know how to rebuild the AW4 transmission, because that's essentially what you'll be doing.

Also, you have some speed sensor issues. The 98 transmission control unit is going to be expecting 4 pulses per revolution of the output shaft while the 88 speed sensor only sends one pulse per revolution. Sensors can be swapped, but I'm not sure it's worth the effort.

If you're set on a 4wd cherokee I would either sell the 98 and dump the money into building the 88 or sell the 88 and by a wrecked 98 as a parts car for the 4wd swap. I converted my 98 to 4wd using a wrecked 98 I bought of craigslist for a few hundred dollars. After parting out what was left of the parts jeep after the swapand selling my 2wd transmission I broke even on the whole deal.
X2.

In fact any AW4 from a 97 or earlier will pretty much just not work in your 98. You need a 98 to 01 donor rig for the transmission unless you want to tear the entire transmission apart and swap the output shaft and tailhousing - and then you're going to end up with a 21 spline output shaft, which limits you to a rapidly decreasing number of parts rigs in the junkyards.

Find a 91-97 parts rig (trade your 88 one for it perhaps?) and do a full teardown on the transmission, or find a 98-01 parts rig and simply swap everything over.

Sorry, I hate to be the bearer of bad news but... that's the long and short of it.

Basically forget the 88, sell it and use the money for a wreaked 98+ or sell both it at the 98 and buy whatever year you want with 4wd. Either way, shop around and be confident in what you're buying.

Back