• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rotor Question - Different Year Axle

49erRider

NAXJA Forum User
Ok heres my dilema.

I have a 2000 Cherokee Sport that started its life as 2wd.

During the 4wd conversion I picked up a 99 Front axle.

Heres the problem, there were no rotors on it when I got it and I'm having a heck of a time trying to figure out which rotor I now need as a replacement.

I was going to use the stuff off my 2000 but it seems as if its causing a bad squeal sound that more resembles metal on metal so something doesn't fit 100% it seems.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks guys
user_online.gif
progress.gif

There was a split in 1999 and there are two types of rotor and bearing combinations. This thread should give you enough info to figure it out with a few measurements: http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1008852&highlight=rotor+height.

In that threads first picture: the 1999.5 and up hub has a mount-to-mount distance of 1-7/8". The 1999.5 and down hub has a mount-to-mount distance of 2-1/8".

Last edited:
On late 1999 - 2001 unit bearing/hubs ( LEFT side of picture ) the ring around the 36MM shaft retaining nut is almost 3/4 inch tall and the hub has longer lug nut studs than early hubs. .

On early 1990 - 1999 unit bearing/hubs ( RIGHT side of picture ) the ring around 36MM shaft retaining nut is about 1/2 inch tall. .

standard.jpg

Ok great on my I-beam and new axle they are both 3/4". Now I'm thinking the reasoning for the grinding noise has got be a bent backing plate. Guess I'm off to change that, as soon as I figure out how.

I always junk those stupid dust shields. Can't stand em, all they do is hold dirt and mud and crap. I don't care enough to remove them right off the bat, but the first time I take the unit bearing out for any reason, they come off and don't go back on.

Yah I just decided to paint that sucker put the wheel back on spin it saw where it was rubbing and was able to adjust it.

I'm all good up front now I just need to figure out this CEL

Back