• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering Column Switching Woes

I have a 1988 manual XJ and I had a tilt steering column. The tilt part died so we replaced with an automatic tilt. This enabled the jeep to get stolen a month ago. Now I want to replace the column with the correct one.

I got a manual tranny column (non tilt) at wrecking yard and it is to short (does not go into coupling at bottom of shaft). The tilt one fit perfectly.

Does anyone have any suggestions how to proceed?
Can I switch the components from the non tilt to the tilt?
If not what can I do to put the non tilt into my jeep (remember the shaft at bottom is about 1.5" to short).

Thanks loads.....

What year XJ did the column come from?

And how did the one from an auto enable you jeep to get stolen?

Hmmmm...

The difference in the console automatic column and manual column should just be the Park Lock cable. You should be able to remove that and then lock the steering--note: I haven't done this, but IIRC that is the only difference, the Park Lock cable prevents the key going to the LOCK position and being removed from the key cylinder unless the transmission is in Park. Should be simple to remove that.

Back