• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anyone put a screw in drain plug in their D35C?

my65289stang

NAXJA Forum User
Im sure its been done. My D35C in the rear of my 96 has the "pop" in style drain plug and id like to pull that out, thread the housing cover and add a screw in plug. I just wanted to get an idea of the thickness of the housing so I could figure out what I was going to need before I tear it apart. I haven't had my diff cover off yet which is why I was asking

Thanks

the sock cover(if thats what you're talking about) isn't very thick at all and the Dana35 isn't worth this kinda effort , whats wrong with the rubber plug, is that a easier method?

Fill plug or drain plug?

If it's a fill plug, it's much less work to just get extras when you go in, and replace the thing every few years. Second easiest is to get an earlier cover (if the fill plug is in the same place - measure from the closest screw hole, since that pattern didn't change) and replace it outright. Third would be to clean the cover, weld on a bung, and change it.

Either way, if you go with a screw-in plug, use a brass plug so it won't seize on you.

The D35 got used quite a bit in domestic compact pickups, and you can even find it as a front axle on some Ford compact 4WD applications (Ranger, Explorer, 4WD Aerostar.) So, you've got options.

I'm not sure if the fill hole moved when they went to the "butt plug," that's why I said to measure.

If you're after a drain plug (I've often thought of that myself,) just drill and weld/braze in a bung (1/4" NPT should be fine) and put your plug in there. It won't drain totally, but you'll get all but a couple of ounces out - and you'll have the plug reasonably protected from rock damage. This can be done front or rear without too much trouble, I'm sure.

You dont have to have a "bung",just pull the cover and weld around the existing "rolled" lip,then tap the hole with a 1/2"-NPT tap.

Why tap anything? Chances are the guy don't have a NPT tap and they aren't cheap. Weld the damn bung and you are done. No use making something easy out to be hard.
Not disagreeing with you. All I'm trying to say is that in my personal experience I have never had much trouble tapping anything including Stainless.

Back