• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Howling (video)

ParadiseXJ

NAXJA Forum User
This video hopefully can help me diagnose this problem. Somebody has got to have had this going on. The Jeep runs fine, the water pump, idler pulley and P/S pump are new.

The howling in the video is constant, but the actual noise is intermittent and goes away after it has warmed up...or revs up. It's more prevalent at idle, but pokes it's ugly head up at RPM's up to about 1500. Goes away after 2000 RPM's

I first thougt (and it may still be) the A/C compressor but my redneck stethoscope says no. Even my regular stethoscope says no. Please note that the water pump pulley jiggles a bit, it's slightly bent at one of the bolt holes and due for replacement.

I have yet to replace the harmonic balancer or the alternator. Anyhoo, check the video and put in your 2 cents. Thanks

Hey man, played the video but couldn't hear anything over that whine!

You couldn't isolate that sound with your tube?

Sounded like the passenger side of the engine more than the driver's side.

Try spraying a little WD-40 behind the a/c pulley and the alternator pulley, one at a time, to see if the sound changes.

Its hard to tell but from the image on the video it looks like the water pump pulley is wobbleing.

Hey man, played the video but couldn't hear anything over that whine! You couldn't isolate that sound with your tube?
No, and I used the tube to the ear and an actual stethescope with a hard line on it just to hear better.

Sounded like the passenger side of the engine more than the driver's side.

That's what the video sounds like but it's almost omnidirectional.

Try spraying a little WD-40 behind the a/c pulley and the alternator pulley, one at a time, to see if the sound changes.

I did that, didn't make any difference

Its hard to tell but from the image on the video it looks like the water pump pulley is wobbleing.

Yes the pulley is wobbling because of a wallowed out bolt hole on the 23 year old pulley. The pump is new ~6 months ~200 miles.

I have a new pulley on my workbench, need some decent weather, and incentive.

Ok, try the WD-40 on all of the idlers/PS--anything turning that has a bearing.

So, after listening to it again, in person, I have to suspect the A/C (clutch, pulley or internals). I took the belt off and spun the alt pulley and the A/C pulley, both seem nice and smooth.

The compressor is on the 88, so it's the older r-12 system. My XJ was converted to r-134a when I got it.

Should I just take it to a A/C guy or what? I really don't know squat about A/C except when it IS working as opposed to when it isn't.

Saudade??

Ok, try the WD-40 on all of the idlers/PS--anything turning that has a bearing.

Great minds think alike, did it, nothin'.

The only real solution at this point is to get it up to temp and over 500 RPM...and ignore it, yet I'm obsessing. It does sound more like the compressor and/or parts, lubrication, charge etc.

Use a length of garden hose to snoop around and locate where the sound is coming from.

Use a length of garden hose to snoop around and locate where the sound is coming from.

I have the 3/8" hose I use, (redneck stethoscope) went around with that, couldn't get a decent sound from anywhere. If the battery wasn't charging I'd think the alternator at this point, but it's strong.

What are the chances of finding a decent compressor at the JY. Like I said it's r-12. It would be sweet to find a renix era compressor switched over to r-134a already.

I have a compressor for you, at least it looks just like yours..
Come by and get it same price as the tranny. No clue of the condition of the internals, it freewheels fine by hand. I yanked it from a 90 to go OBA but I have another one from a 92 to use and I dont really need 2.
Pm me if you need my address, if not I'll leave it on my porch so you can pick it up whenever works best for you.

Last edited:
Disconnect the connector for the ac clutch. Its a single wire I believe. Give it power and see if the noise changes. The clutch is case grounded so just jump 12v to the wire on the compressore and see if it changes.

I have a compressor for you, at least it looks just like yours..
Come by and get it same price as the tranny. No clue of the condition of the internals, it freewheels fine by hand. I yanked it from a 90 to go OBA but I have another one from a 92 to use and I dont really need 2.
Pm me if you need my address, if not I'll leave it on my porch so you can pick it up whenever works best for you.

Sweet. I loved the price for the tranny. Still have your address unless you moved.

PM sent.

Yet another reason that NAXJA is so great

Last edited:
Sounds like your mosquitoes are a hell of a lot bigger than the ones over here :scared:

The alternator could be charging but still be at fault, the bearings would be making the noise. It sounds like the AC compressor or alternator to me. If you can find a belt to fit try eliminating one of them from the loop at a time. I guess putting the new compressor in will tell you one way or the other.

So, if install the other compressor, do I have to hook it up (electrics and charged)? Or can I just let it act as an idler pulley til I can get the other parts (and r-12 $$$) ? Would that hurt the compressor? Can I run it not hooked to the hoses?

Thanks

P.S. ...and double thanks to rysam

I believe you should be able to just leave it there as an idler. I would look into an R134a conversion - IIRC you need to swap some parts, the accumulator/dryer, and then fill with R134a instead of R12. You can also get freeze12 which claims to replace R12 in R12 systems without changing anything.

Video, Sound, Fudge

OK, I'm piggy backing on one of my own threads.

This one:

http://naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1052228

The sound is still there and it is NOT any of the belt driven components. I thought certainly the harmonic balancer was at fault, or the A/C, or the idler. So I went about doing one thing at a time.

1. Removed belt.

2. Started engine. Same sound present.

3. Replaced harmonic balancer, crank seal, timing chain cover, gasket seals etc.. Big smile.

4. Started engine. Same mother#@*&er sound is &*#@!%+ present.

:huh:

5. Had stiff drink.

6. Sat down in front of computer. No smile. What the fudge (only I didn't say fudge). What do you guys think, or should I just keep drinking?

:dunno::dunno::dunno:

Re: Howling video UPDATE!

I guess I hotlinked this?? and it was moved?

So after putting the whole front of the MJ together...as I said, the wretched sound is still there.

I broke out the tubing and stuck an end in my ear...long story short...the whine is coming from the distributor housing. Would it make more sense that a bearing in that shaft is toasted, or that the oil pump is making the noise and sending up the shaft??
If it's distributor shaft am I better off just buying a whole new dizzy or fixing this one??

Back