• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ Overload!! Which one do I build?

Yardog

NAXJA Forum User
I currently have 3 XJ's that are stock. I want to build one for offroad but I am having trouble deciding which one. There are issues good and bad with all 3. I am planning on doing ARB lockers and gears, Rustys 4.5 inch lift, flares, wheels 33x10.5, armor, racks, lights, etc. I don't want to put all this cool stuff on one and wish I would have built the other. I am going to sell the other 2 when I decide.
1. 1994 with a 97-01 nose, 231 tcase, D30 / D35(which I will change to 8.25). Very clean 124k miles. Not equipped with airbags.

2. 1998 Limited, 242 tcase, D30 / D35. 82k miles, leather interior. Nice clean condition. D30 is high pinion. Worried about the 242 on this one.

3. 2001 sport. 103k miles, 231 tcase, D30 / D35, nice clean condition has some skid plates already and a 2 inch lift it had when I got it. Has a low pinion D30 so this one I would have to change front and rear end. But it has 231 tcase which I have read is better than 242 and easier to do SYE.
I am leaning to the 1998 because it is red and has leather / limited model.

Hmmm...

I would frankenjeep it up.

231 TC and driveshaft from the 94 -> 98.
242 TC, bezel, and shift gate from the 98 -> 01.
231 TC from the 01, and driveshaft from the 98 -> 94.
231 bezel and shift gate from the 01 -> 98.

Now you have an old style output shaft from the 94 in the 98, which is less likely to need an SYE. If it does need it, you can still do it. You have a 242 TC in the 01, which improves its sale value further. And you have a 231 in the 94 still, but it's the one that will cause vibes if you lift it more than 2-3 inches - but anyone who buys it aside from a jeeper is unlikely to care, since it will probably remain stock.

I'd then sell the 01 and the 94. The 98 has everything awesome about the late models except for the 99+ intake manifold and the 99.5+ unit bearings and rotors (good if you do a WJ brake swap), and none of the curses of the 00/01 models.

I wish I was in your situation. I would build the 94 frankly because I like the 91-94 jeeps. No airbags to worry about blowing up, OBD1. Are they all autos?

Frankenjeep like kastein said....

build the 98 and throw in one of the 231's

Thank you guys so much for your input. I really appreciate all the info I have gotten from this forum. I have a YJ built but I needed a 4 door rig for most of the stuff I like to do so I started buying wrecked XJ's a few months ago and fixing them. I have been gathering info and trying to decide what and how I want to build one of these. Cool thing is I can build 2 or 3 of these cheaper than buying one 4 door JK. When I first decided to get one of these I had no idea they had such a following. I see some very cool rigs on here.

why are you so worried about the 242? the 231 is only marginally stronger. the 242 is just as reliable as well and more versatile for most. but yes to do an SYE you need to do a hack n tap

Both my xjs have 242s in them. I love having the full time 4wd option. I have 33s locked front and rear on one, and 35s open on the other. Never broken one on the trail.

I have no problem with the idea of a H&T SYE. I did one on mine and it's been no problems. However, I would build the 98, swapping t-cases between it and the 94. Swap the intakes between the 2000 and the 98, and then find an 8.25 or XJ D44 ASAP.

Is this going to be a DD? If so, consider keeping the 242, could be handy using full time 4x4 being in OR in the winter.

Both my xjs have 242s in them. I love having the full time 4wd option. I have 33s locked front and rear on one, and 35s open on the other. Never broken one on the trail.

Good to hear this....... I wasn't sure about the 242 but I have read alot of conflicting info some love it and some people say stay away from it. If it functions well and the only problem is doing a hack n tap sye then I will probably keep it. Thanks for your input.

Good to hear this....... I wasn't sure about the 242 but I have read alot of conflicting info some love it and some people say stay away from it. If it functions well and the only problem is doing a hack n tap sye then I will probably keep it. Thanks for your input.
The 242 is a good case. It's what I have in my rig. Though I did blow a softball size hole out of the side of my first one. My replacement was out of a 99 with ~100K on it. It has performed flawlessly.

Personally I love my 242 in my DD. Even with 37's its great. I have a 231 in the wheeler and it hold up just fine too. they are both strong cases. 231 has more "buildable" options like tera 2-low which is nice.

Personally I love my 242 in my DD. Even with 37's its great. I have a 231 in the wheeler and it hold up just fine too. they are both strong cases. 231 has more "buildable" options like tera 2-low which is nice.

If I decide to run the 242 and 33 inch tires should I regear at 4.56 or 4.88? Thanks again for your input.

I went 4.88 to bring power back closer to stock. I wouldn't want to go down to 4.56s. But it's largely preference. Those wit 4.56 love em, those with 4.88 love em.

I can do 70-75 on the highway, right around 3000 rpms, which the XJ doesn't seem to mind at all.

If I decide to run the 242 and 33 inch tires should I regear at 4.56 or 4.88? Thanks again for your input.

It's up to you. 33s and 4.56 will gear you lower than the stock ratio. 35s and 4.56 is close to stock ratio.4.88 and 33s would be too deep for a dd, but that's my opinion. Also 4.88 gears in a d30 would be weaker than 4.56s would be due to the thinner teeth. It's really up to you.

I run tom woods stuff in my 89 and teraflex (I think) in the 01. I prefer the tom woods stuff, but either would be a good place to get a sye.

Back