• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

big mistake.

Mitchen

NAXJA Forum User
so my water pump gasket needed replacing in my 88 renix XJ, i replaced it aobut 2 months ago and put straight water in to make sure it didnt leak. didnt want to waste antifreeze. then the tranny went out and it was in the garage. needed the garage for another truck so i moved it onto the street.

beeing an idiot i forgot i had not yet drained the water and put in anti freeze. we have been having 20 ° nights and below 30 days.... when i realized my mistake i moved the truck in to the garage again right away. 2 freeze plugs have fallen out and most the water is leaking out i dont think i cracked the block or anything because its only leaking from the holes.

my question is do i need to replace all of the plugs now? or just the ones that have fallen out? and where are all the plugs located? i tried searching but didnt really find anything

still trying to find a new transmission so i wont be replacing these plugs until then.

Thanks,
Mitch

my question is do i need to replace all of the plugs now? or just the ones that have fallen out? and where are all the plugs located? i tried searching but didnt really find anything

Do them all. It might sound like overkill, but even though just those two popped out you don't know what stresses were put on the others when the water in the block expanded and froze or if there's any internal corrosion on them. You may be able to get away with just doing those two... But there's no guarantee that the others are OK.

As for the exact positions and procedure, take a look at http://go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoWelshPlugs1.htm - it's pretty well detailed there.

i will probably just do all of them sense i am going to have the transmission out when i replace them anyways.

exactly what i needed.

Thanks,
Mitch

Do them all. It might sound like overkill, but even though just those two popped out you don't know what stresses were put on the others when the water in the block expanded and froze or if there's any internal corrosion on them. You may be able to get away with just doing those two... But there's no guarantee that the others are OK.

As for the exact positions and procedure, take a look at http://go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoWelshPlugs1.htm - it's pretty well detailed there.

This. Those that didn't fall out likely will.

GoJeep has a nice write up on his website.

Back