• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Coolant?

Blue87

NAXJA Forum User
I flushed my coolant last night when I changed my thermostat, I was just curious as to what color the flushed old coolant should be. It looked dirty not the same transparent green color it originally was.. Is this normal?

It should still be green. Has it ever had the Dex-Cool (Orange) stuff in it?

How long since you last flushed it??

if it has been along time since you flushed it out, then it will be brown/rusty colored

I've seen coolant that has turned into a substance similar to chocolate mousse.

How long since you last flushed it??

And which flush did you use? I've never been a fan of the 'quick' flushes - the 8-hour stuff seems to do a much better job of shocking all the crud out of there.

From the way it's described, if it wasn't Dex-Cool or similar coming out, I'd be willing to bet that someone ran it on mostly or completely tap water at some point and you've got a good amount of rust and other debris to get out of there. One flush (even the 8-hour kind) probably won't be enough to get it back to where it needs to be.

Well, Prestone and Zerex (others, too) make radiator cleaners that you put in and driver for 3-6 hours--it can be over a few days--and that will beat any 15-minute flush.

So if I understand correctly you put in the radiator cleaner drive 3-6 hrs. Then drain it and restore normal coolant?

So if I understand correctly you put in the radiator cleaner drive 3-6 hrs. Then drain it and restore normal coolant?

That is about the gist of it--you need to follow the instructions for the product you purchase.

There is normally a "neutralize" step in there before you add the fresh coolant.

Does it freeze in Vegas this time of year overnight?

It would be the fact that you add water to the cleaner, so you don't have anti-freeze protection WHILE the flush is taking place, so caution there.

When you are all done, the system should have a 50-50 mix of coolant to distilled water. The problem with that after performing a flush is that there is still a lot of water in the system so if you add 50-50 coolant, the end result is less than 50-50 protection.

Use a hydrometer to verify final coolant concentration. Can get one in any parts store for a couple of bucks.

Put it in on a warm morning, drive away from your home for 1 1/2-3 hours, turn around and drive home, flush, neutralize, fill with 50/50.

Sounds like a Saturday morning to me.

My 91 was so bad when I bought it that I ran the Prestone flush for a week...probably 15 hours total driving time. It took a while for the water to come out clear when I backflushed it...I got all kinds of nasty junk out of it. After cleaning, I replaced the thermostat, which is probably a good idea for you too.

My 91 was so bad when I bought it that I ran the Prestone flush for a week..
========================================================
For system that bad I have tried tollet cleaner. Used it a few times to boot. WARNING: WILL kill grass, trees, cats, dogs, kids etc etc if drank. Need to neutralize with baking soda to.
Also can be very hard on non-steel/iron parts, some gaskets hoses paint fingers, eyes. You get the idea.

Oh yeah and I'll go back to kindergarten to learn proper grammar

Swirl, swirly, flushing--a joke! :cheers:

Nothing wrong with your grammar--in fact, tell her I said Hi! :D :D

Back