• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

HID Help

homebrew

NAXJA Forum User
Just installed a set of HID head lights and have a little issue. The lights come on fine but when I go to turn them off they dont turn off, I suspect this may be due to the valet switch. Need help locating it. This is a 97 XJ

Does the switch work when the vehicle is on, but then if you turn off the engine the lights stay on?

Here is my advice from an old thread:

OK

I HAVE A REAL FIX!

You just have to unplug a connector in the knee blocker panel.
Once you remove plastic panel, there is a metal one under that. Remove that as well. (They take 1/4 inch drives)
Now if you were to be sitting in the drivers seat, your knee would point directly towards this plug. It is black and is mounted parallel to the direction of the vehicle.
It has several wires, some green with white stripes, most importantly the red/white and the black, control the module (Thanks to Tomcat)
If you unplug the whole connector, it disables the whole "sentinel" lights and your HIDs go back to functioning like stock halogens.

I am not sure what the other wires going to connector do, how ever I went on a post-removal drive, and everything works so far...

The whole process takes no more than 10 minutes.

PM me if you need more help.

And Thanks again Tomcat for your help, couldn't have done it with out you.

Just put HID's in my 98' and it did the same thing. Another member gave me a tip on removing the number 3 and 4 fuse from the interior fuse block for the high beams and now they work fine. I didnt look into why it works this way but it just does. Maybe this will work for you

Just put HID's in my 98' and it did the same thing. Another member gave me a tip on removing the number 3 and 4 fuse from the interior fuse block for the high beams and now they work fine. I didnt look into why it works this way but it just does. Maybe this will work for you

I was that member. The best I can tell the #3 and 4 fuses control the right headlight, using the hid kit eliminates the need for the right side connector. My guess is there isn't enough current draw causing the hi/lo function to not work correctly.

HID + stock electrical = ones tricky beast.:roll:

Hey guys im having the same problem to
If you wanna leave the fuses in you can just click the high beam on which is the normal light and they turn off
but i didnt know you could pull the fuses
is that in the block on the passenger side kick panel??

Hey guys im having the same problem to
If you wanna leave the fuses in you can just click the high beam on which is the normal light and they turn off
but i didnt know you could pull the fuses
is that in the block on the passenger side kick panel??

If you have the sentry module thing you will still need to unplug that. The fuses are for the right headlight socket.

Sentry model???

See post #2

Basically its the thing that keeps the headlights on for a couple minutes after you turn them off. My 97 didn't have one so all I had to do was the fuse trick I mentioned to get it to work.

See post #2

Basically its the thing that keeps the headlights on for a couple minutes after you turn them off. My 97 didn't have one so all I had to do was the fuse trick I mentioned to get it to work.

I recommend you read through this thread:
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?p=244608835#post244608835

I am not sure what exactly it is called, my best guess is "Headlamp delay module" via Tomcats FSM. The thing is a little box under the kneeblocker that keeps your lights on for a period of time after you turn off the car. It does not work well with retrofit HID systems. I recommend the unplugging of this module or completing the "fuse trick".

Good luck

Just installed a set of HID head lights and have a little issue. The lights come on fine but when I go to turn them off they dont turn off, I suspect this may be due to the valet switch. Need help locating it. This is a 97 XJ

Mine did the same thing, but when I shut the ignition of they would go off.

Unplugging the Head Light Delay module under the dash lights now work correctly.

I tried taking out #9 fuse (controls the Head Light Delay module) but it also controls the over head console. So I lost the read out for MPG, temp etc.

Hope you got it worked out Paul.

To turn mine off, I have to flick the multifunction switch (like you'd be turning on high beams but the opposite way) and that turns them off.

A $30-60 wiring harness will eliminate those issues and keep your wires safe.
If your igniting the ballasts with stock wires carry a fire extinguisher

Back