• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Engine/Trans/Body Shakes Badly (from idle accel and 1500-1800 RPM driving)

HttpWayne

NAXJA Forum User
This just happened a couple of hours ago:

I was in the middle of driving at the end of a 600 mile trip (coasting along at about 50-55 MPH) and I noticed that the whole jeep was slowly starting to shake. At first I thought it was the road but then realized it wasn't, and I knew it wasn't me .. even though I had a lot of caffeine. So it had to be the jeep.

As it got worse (it hit a plateau of shaking and didn't go past it eventually) I started to coast a little bit to see if it went away. The shaking increased (not vibration, actual shaking) and the Check Engine light starting coming on and then turning off with it once every other second

I pulled over and let it idle (both in nuetral and in park). It still shook, not as bad as when coasting). I went and looked at the exhaut and it was shaking with it. I could also hear a ticking noise from the engine (fast, like it was with the revs) that increased with throttle, but with enough throttle and engine rev you couldn't hear it (about 2K).

At this point the ChEngLight was not on. It was only only when it got really bad shaking from lower RPM. I even hooked up the code checker and got nothing. Even with it on and running it at idle.

When I hit the gas it shook a little faster then faded out quickly (the shaking) and went away at higher RPM. When I let it off the gas and the revs came down the shaking un-faded back in along with the ticking.
I put it in gear, both reverse and drive, and the shaking got a little worse but faded out (almost completely) with speed/RPM increase. So this leads me to believe it's not the transmission.

I took it for a drive (trying to finish the last 15 miles of my trip). As I accelerated from 0 the shaking was worst at idle but went away at higher rev as speed increased. Once I got to around 42-45 and it shifted into overdrive (and when it does that it goes from 2200 to 1500 RPM) the shaking came back. I then gave it throttle and the shaking increased more, and there was hardly ANY acceleration. Then I gave it WOT and it continuted to do the same. So I kept driving at 50 until I stopped (with a little shaking the whole way).

(note: even though when the RPMs drop that when I'm at idle it's barely shaking.. But with accleration WITH the transmission in gear it shakes bad. with it in nuetral it levels off and goes away completely..)

After I stopped I decided to just use the 1/2 and 3 gears instead of just Drive. With that it still shook horribly and went away as speed increased. In 3rd gear it stayed around 2200 - 2500 RPMs and the shaking was almost non-existent.

After I finally stopped I looked at harmonic balancer it looked fine as well. It was maybe 1/4-1/3 of an inch away from the front of the engine block, but that's how far it's supposed to be isn't it (as in not flush/touching)? I mean the serpentine belt was perfectly aligned to it and the rest of the drive components.

Notes Taken during the observation period:
-I just filled up with gas 60 miles earlier. The tank was only half empty when I filled it. (wondered if maybe there was some water in it) ?? So at the 50 mile marker is when I started to experience this

-The coolant reservoir return line had a bracket that broke loose and I let it hang just in range of the fan. It was wrapped heavily in electrical tape and protected. It's now heated into place (I guess from the fan friction) out of range of the fan. The line is fine.. but I understand these fans are clutched and only turn on when needed. The fan has been constantly on for the past few days

-When I turn the knob for the air now (started doing this just last night while on my trip) the "doors" are stuck in the defrost position, and with increased speed/decreased speed sometimes it closes them. Sometimes they turn back to defrost (regardless of the fan speed I set). I understand these are vacuum operated which leads me to the next thing...

-A while (about 7 months ago) after I installed a 62mm throttle body I started to experience intermitten erratic idle rpms (fluctuate up and down slowly for a few seconds, but then go away... only at random stops). THis happened about 2 times a day, but went away after two months of me ignoring it. When given gas it would go away, like a vacuum leak. But it hasn't done this for about a month now. Even then it only did it about once a week... yet sometimes go a whole month without doing it.

And these are the stats:
98 XJ, I6 4.6, automatic, 4WD, 6.5" RC lift, 33x12.50 (brand new, fully aligned with hardly any wear)

The voltage, coolant and oil pressure read normal. By normal, I mean they didn't fluctuate any from what they normally would. I constantly check them all the time when I drive out of habit.

I just got a hypothesis from someone else I know. They said that the tick was from one of the rockers.. which I believe because when I got the new engine, before the cam wiped out from the same problem, I heard the same noise.

Would I be right in thinking that engine overheating could gum up the oil enough to cause this probleM (just had the radiator replaced due to overheating about 5 days ago)

Last edited:
Back