• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stranded Jesper seeking oil leak help

whitek8gixxer

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 97 and about six months ago I stupidly snapped off the oil pressure sending unit. Any ways I've been driving With light on with the intention of replacing it. any ways yesterday my jeep developed a massive oil river leak in that area. I thought it was the oil filter because it leaks a river of oil out of that side as soon as the motor is started but that wasn't it. I however can't tell if it's leaking out of the base of the elbow the filter screws on or the sensor or a massive pan leak because it leaks so much so fast I can't tell. Do you think the snapped off sensor just needs to be replaced or something else since it was fine for so long. Thank you guys I need this jeep

First thing I would do is fix the sensor. If it was broken at the electrical connector it most likely blew the remaining part out of the sensor body and is spraying out on the filter assy.

They take about ten minutes to change. Just make sure you specify at the parts store if you have the gauge or and idiot light in the dash as the sensors are different.

I am assuming you were changing the oil at the time. Is it possible that you left the old filter gasket stuck to the adapter and screwed the new filter on over it? If thats the case it will leak similar to a broken sensor.

How did you seal off where the broken sensor was to allow you to drive around for six months without a sensor?

Clean up the mess and take some photos, upload them to a photo hosting website and copy/paste the IMG info here so we can see what your dealing with.

DID you just change the filter as wheeling365 asked? DID you just do anything before the oil torrent started or did it seem to come out of nowhere?

oil pressure sender can pop off where the plastic and metal go together, especially if you've hit it. It is then a 1/4" hole direct to the oil pump. 5 quarts in a matter of seconds. That why I used to kick butt when some moron tried to bring a stock car onto the track with an oil pressure gauge plumbed with that damned plastic line.

I'm thinking that a 1/4" pipe plug and some teflon tape will stop the leak if it's the sender. I'm on my third or fourth sender in a year after an oil change moron broke off the OEM unit. If it's the oil filter adaptor, go to the dealer and buy the "O" ring kit for ten bucks if it's urgent - if you can wait buy it online it will cost you half that.

Mark

I'm thinking that a 1/4" pipe plug and some teflon tape will stop the leak if it's the sender. I'm on my third or fourth sender in a year after an oil change moron broke off the OEM unit. If it's the oil filter adaptor, go to the dealer and buy the "O" ring kit for ten bucks if it's urgent - if you can wait buy it online it will cost you half that.

Mark

Make that a 1/8 inch pipe plug, though. :D

Well sorry guys classic case of half assing it. The broken sensor sprang a leak. Got a new sensor for 25 bucks at autozone. I'm sure it's on here but if you have a 97 with an idiot light and need the sensor the autozone comp only stocks the one for a gauge but it works. Good news is I got some 02 sensors replaced, auto meter oil psi gauge ordered a full ignition upgrade and an oil change today. Tons of miles and runs like when I got it. Awesome

Back