• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Any homemade flares out there?

WAM174

NAXJA Forum User
For my XJ rallyX'r I'll be running pretty small rally tires, But I'm increasing the track and lowering so expect I may have to cut out the wheel openings. If I can't refit the stock flares, I'll want to stick something on there to block the wall of dirt that gets thrown up. Initially I don't care how it looks, just how it works. Anyway I'll probably have to experiment with size.

Maybe bend up some aluminum plate and rivet on with angle tabs or something. Anyone done any playing around with homemade flares? Cheap, easy and ugly is fine. It ain't a mall cruiser. Pics...links?

Thanx, Bill

I dunno how cheap you're looking for, but for around $100 you can get 4 stock tj flares. Much bigger, and look half decent. Also pretty sturdy.

2006_0220021.jpg

fitup4.jpg

fitup.jpg

If you want really dirt cheap, try lawn edging. Comes in a variety of width and you'll have plenty left over when you tear it off.

Thanx both of you. Yeah, the TJ flares would work. But I do like the look of the flat tube flares. Unfortunately they wouldn't work for me. They only cover the top of the tire. Most of the crap will be coming off the backside. So the flares pictured on the red jeep are the only ones that would be positioned right. Even better on my car since it's lowered. I assume the red jeep is using TJ rear flares.

Flexy flares..

Thanx both of you. Yeah, the TJ flares would work. But I do like the look of the flat tube flares. Unfortunately they wouldn't work for me. They only cover the top of the tire. Most of the crap will be coming off the backside. So the flares pictured on the red jeep are the only ones that would be positioned right. Even better on my car since it's lowered. I assume the red jeep is using TJ rear flares.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/xj-bolt-tube-fenders-432269/

here is another (stronger) mounting method. bring them down as far as you need. its not rocket science. the link was given as an idea.

there is always garden edging. its about 30 bucks for a 80ft roll.

You could always make flares like I did and run them to the bottom. I built mine like I did because I want to possibly open up my wheel wells a little more. And get rid of my rear qtr. panel.

They would do good on their own, I just thought they looked better with the OE flares on. Also the lawn edging was easier to mount to the OE flares then to the sheet metal.

Would it look wimpy with just the the lawn edging? I would say yes, but you'll never know until you try.

No pictures, but when I redid my lawn flares I put a section of 3/8" all thread through the outside edge. Made it look a lot better as you can shape the flares how you want and they will stay that way. Also I cut off the t-shaped end of the edging.

Back