• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Heater control/cruise vacuum issue

'99Orvis

NAXJA Forum User
Happy New Year to you all.

I have an issue with my heater only working on the windscreen and the cruise control not working at all. From searching, I narrowed it down to a problem with the vacuum system that controls these systems. Tracing the vacuum lines under the hood the only abnormality I could find was on the intake manifold as shown in the photo. The two vacuum connections on either end of the manifold in the picture have nothing connected and are sucking air at idle, if I cover them with my finger the idle speed lowers. Also visible is an open end of pipe at right angles to the connector on the right. This looks like it should be connected to something, but what? Thanks for your help.

The Jeep is a 1999 Orvis 4.0 RHD
IMG_0095.jpg

What is supposed to be there are a couple of soft rubber 90 degree fittings that connect the manifold to the hard plastic lines. You can check the self help parts section of the local parts store but, most likely a dealer item.

Short term, you should cap them off.

Ok, made it to the dealer today who was less than helpful. They couldn't find a part number for the missing item. I had another look at what might be missing and spotted a rubber right angled piece sitting under the airbox. This was obviously what was missing and had fallen off for some reason. When replaced, it fits between the plastic pipe and the connection on the manifold on the right of the above picture. Hey presto - the heater controls now work. However the other connection on the manifold (on the left of the picture) is still not connected to anything and is still sucking air. Does anyone know what should be connected to this?

Went and looked at mine. It's a 98 but has the 99+ manifold on it. The three lines on the side of the manifold go to hard lines on the firewall. The top connection is, of course, the power brake source. You should be able to find the other hard plastic line. It will be dangling about looking to be attached to something. Same deal, need a right angle connector or some rubber vacuum line. I used vacuum line to make my connections as the 98 hard lines were not shaped to fit the newer manifold. Wish I could just pop over and help!

Back