• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Swapping out Guage Cluster

Coach73

NAXJA Forum User
I need advise on what year clusters will fit into my '91 Sport. I have the idiot lights, no tach, no trip meter (but getting one would be cool), I think I have an electronic speedo but am not sure, also my dash is a gun metal blue color, no red at all and I would like to keep it that way. I saw several at the j.y. but they were for mechanical speedos. Sorry if this is in the wrong spot! Thanks. Coach

I'd pull your cluster and check the connections to see what it has. I'd say anything from 91 to 96 would work.

36883-91-cherokee-instruments.jpg
36883-91-cherokee-instruments
Well that's good advice except that this is a daily driver and today's high temp was -16*F. I'm trying to get the parts together so if I get a warm day before spring (yea right) I'll be able to throw it in. I've heard rumors that the clusters with the tach will also work in my non tach vehicle, anyone confirm or deny???? Thanks. Coach

Last edited:
Yeah, everything is already wired in the XJs.

I can't remember if you have to change the temperature and oil pressure senders in your 91 from the on/off idiot light variety to the variable resistor type--I think you do. Look up those senders on rockauto.com for your year and see if they are light/gauge specific.

Seems to me that changed come 97 when the combo sender/CTS setup through the PCM was put into effect.

And where in heck was it -16 degrees F in So. Cali?

No, I ain't NUTS, least not completely--his location used to read "So Cal".

Now, you get cold weather in AZ, and they get cold weather in MT, but the only flakes in CA are the residents!!

Just kidding, lots of nice people have already moved out of CA, and I'm sure there are still a few more trying to escape.

Santa Cruz 25 years ago.

Phew! Thanks, I was getting concerned.

I thought Joe was losing it. LOL. I know what went on in Santa Cruz 25 years ago. It was my old stomping grounds. Zayante Club, anyone? Boulder Burger?

Yeah, those were actually my post-active duty years and I was pretty up-tight.

Now, if you want to talk about the years BEFORE 1969--I plead the 5th!

you will need to swap out the CTS (driver side rear of head, one wire sensor) and oil sender (one wire near oil filter adapter) Panel from 91-96 should work.

Back