• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bolt Extractor-Fail...what now?

BostonIrish

NAXJA Forum User
Busted a bolt off in the frame..front sway bar ...of course there's no way to get behind the bolt in the frame.So..I drilled into the bolt and heated it up with a torch...inserted my brand new Black and Decker Bolt extractor and proceeded to turn the extractor.....Snap...the POS broke.....now I'm having a hell of a time trying to drill that out...I just bought a set of titanium drill bits and hopefully they'll bite into the broken end.I think I should have just kept on drilling the old bolt out and tried to rethread the nut...2.5hrs yesterday...anybody have this happen to them?Ideas would be appreciated..

You are probably using a little plumbers torch like I always had to. If you can get your hands on a real acetylene torch, it will make all the difference. Once it's all cherry red, it will come out pretty easily if you don't melt it all.

Bolt extractors, aka "easy outs" aren't.

More often than not they will snap and create a bigger mess--a result you are now well aware of.

For me it is a combination of heat, PB Blaster, and a left-hand drill bit.

Now, get a Dremel type tool and grind that broken extractor out.

Hit it with the heat, PB Blaster, and then try the LH bit. Repeat as necessary.

If that won't do the job then drill it out and tap it up a size.

BFH..cold chisel...Success..I ended up using a hole saw to cut access into the frame to get a new bolt in there....the welded nut finally snapped off in the frame after alot of swearing and pounding.Time to invest in a bigger torch and a welder....

Back