• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Broken aw4 linkage cable

beatupcherokee

NAXJA Forum User
I have searched for this to no avail.
1990 limited aw4, the shifter end bushing exploded. I finally stopped using electrical tie wrap to hold it on the pawl/pin. Picked up replacement cable from wreckers.
My problem is the cablet is a couple feet short, it's new years eve and nothing open that I can get a visual.
The firewall grommet in my xj is top drivers side behind washerfluid reservoir, over wheel well. My removed cable routed up behind the brake pedal and is about 85" long. The replacement is about 43".
Is there another place to penetrate the firewall? If so where?
Thanks

You got me with this one.

There are three cables in use for the AW4 with a console shifter.

First is the Park Lock cable, keeps you from removing the key unless the AW4 is in Park.

Second is the shifter cable, when you move the shifter it selects the gear in the transmission.

Neither of these goes through the firewall in any way.

The third cable is the throttle pressure cable, it adjusts the pressures available to the valve body for use in applying different brakes/clutches. The throttle pressure cable runs from the throttle body down to the transmission, and it would be the longest cable of the three.

Thanks Joe,
I have a couple photos to help me explain. (sorry for the one handed camera phone pics.)
The first is the linkage connection at the shifter to let everyone know which cable it is. The one I am trying to replace is the drivers side on the left of the photo.

shifterend.jpg

The second shows where it penetrated the firewall, upper corner drivers side.
firewalllarge.jpg

The top cable is the one I pulled out. It ran a mother of a circitutious route.
The smaller one I asked my local jeep scrap parts guys to pull. They gave me two, said they never saw a long one like mine.
linkagecables.jpg

Any help here from anyone would be highly appreciated. This started as a power seat transplant, but it keeps growing.
I just want it to end. LOL

Bump, any help at all is appreciated. I think I need to drill or find out where everyone else routed the linkage from the shifter to the tranny. All the references so far just say " route the cable to the tranny"

sytues.jpg

Thats the header you see to the right of the opening from the fire wall.. Its basically the corner where the cable exits

Last edited:
Back