• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Broke oil sending unit

redneck999

NAXJA Forum User
Ok so i finally got aroundto snapping off my oil sending unit when changing oil,so i got a new one from napa and guage shows no oil pressure, exchanged it and the same thing. whats up with that? I used no no sealer and its not leaking, should i just put a manual guage in or cuss and fight and change it again? gauge worked fine before and i broke the little red tab but still plugs in i tried plugging and unplugging while running with the wife watching and no change.

The problem is most likely in the connector or wiring to the oil pressure sending unit.

Especially IF you had an oil pressure reading on the gauge before you snapped off the sending unit.

Dielectric grease can cause a connection to stop working...
(cut and paste from http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-dielectric-grease.htm
While the indicated use of dielectric grease calls for it to be used only on the non-metal parts of a connection, it has been shown to be effective at preventing corrosion when applied directly to the metal connectors as well. Care should be taken when using it in this way, because this application can, in some instances, cause the connection to stop working. A common reason for such a failure is that the grease has not been pushed entirely out of the way between the two points of contact.

the 99 FSM shows it to be a 3 wire connector... Sensor ground, Sensor signal, +5v

+5 volt ...orange wire
Sensor signal...gray/yellow wire (center connection on plug)
Sensor ground...brown/yellow wire

You can check out your circuit with a volt/ohm meter. If ground and +5 volt signal are there, then you have to make sure the sensor signal wire connection is good with your Ohm Meter.

The Check Gauges Lamp (if equipped) monitors:
charging system voltage, engine coolant temperature
and engine oil pressure. If an extreme condition
is indicated, the lamp will be illuminated. This is
done as reminder to check the three gauges. The signal
to activate the lamp is sent via the CCD bus circuits.​

If i deceide to just put a manual gauge in is there a way of shutting resetting the light and or would it be difficult to mount the gauge in the cluster

ok... found a fsm for a 97... probably the same as a 98...

BR/YL SENSOR RETURN (same thing as sensor ground)​
GY/YL OIL PRESSURE SENSOR (same thing as sensor signal)

If your wires and connections are solid...no wire stretched, all contacts,good, and there is no obstruction to the sensor tip... you must have a bad sensor or the wrong sensor... does the new one look just like the original?

I don't know how you would satisfy the PCM. Without sending it a signal, it will set the check gauges indicator. You might want to check the modified tech forum on that question.
If you have a manual gauge, I would connect it temporarily, just to make sure you have pressure.

Yeah i read that one on a search but hoped the napa unit would be ok, ive never had any problems with them before. Oh and i posted in the modified forum about the light so here is hoping.

Back