• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

lower tranny cooler line leak? need help

98CherokeeSport

NAXJA Forum User
my tranny cooler line on the transmission side is leaking fluid like crazy from the fitting that goes into the tranny. i replaced the little plastic gator clip and all the o rings and it is still leaking. i installed an external tranny cooler an bipassed the radiator all together. i cant figure out why its leaking. any help is appreciated!

here are a couple pictures of the issue
IMG_0775.jpg

IMG_0776.jpg

you stated that you by passed the radiator and installed an aux cooler.check all you hoses and lines and make sure nothing is kinked.a kinked hose or line my not allow the fluid to flow and may be building excessive pressure in the line and causing the fitting at the trans to leak. if everything is ok. take a close look at the line and make sure there are no sharp edges on the line where it maybe cutting the o ring seal. also make sure that the new cooler is ok. i have had a new radiator with a trans cooler that was plugged up.

Those tranny line connectors(those 3-4" long hexes) have seals in them that can pinch/tear easily upon reconnection of the hoses, even if the clips snap back in place. I have a buddy's 92xj stranded outside my house until he gets the dorman 800714s from rockauto($5.11ea@rockauto pre disco, $10-11ea at AA). There's also a washer that slips on the line after the clip that may/may not have to do with it sealing correctly. This is my first experience working on tranny lines, as all my personal jeeps have been manuals over the years(done a bunch of aw4 filter/gasket changes, tho).

if you repair them, and get them to seal for now.... they will give you trouble later on, at the worst time possible.

these get put into the same category as dana 35's in my book, dont put any money/time into repairing the stock stuff, replace it with proper hardware and never look back.

if you MUST, remove the clip and hardline from the hex (only 2 inche's, tops), take a peice of scotchbrite, and clean the inside of the hex cup, where the plastic clip and o-ring seat, crud builds up here and prevents a seal.... be carefull here, and keep an eye on it, atf is flamable, like i said before, do it right and be done!

I noticed in your avitar you wheel in the snow. You may actuly have to cold of tranny fluid and that what is making your line burst. The tranny fluid goes through the radiator to heat it NOT to cool it. If you live in a cold area of the country you should hook it back up to the radator and then through the cooler. The guys in southern cali and warm areas like that can get away with not using the radiator. Cold fluid in your tranny is worse than hot.

So I couldn't get the dorman 800714 at the auto parts stores around me so I next day aired one.

The line went bad well before I bipassed the radiator with the cooler so that's not it. It isn't cold enough around here for me to worry about bipassing the radiator. The tranny gets warm enough on its own.

I wil post up if this fixes my issue. Thanks for the fast responses!

Thought i would just trow that out their as i was going to bypassmine but told not to. gets very cold for al ong time here though.
Would like to see the post for how you fix it.

I was worried about it being too cold but then I talked to some buddies who work on classic cars and they said that none of there cars run through the radiator cuz it doesn't get cold enough for long enough periods of time here.

So this morning the ups guy dropped off the 800-714 fitting. It comes with a gator clip and all the correct orings. I swapped the new one out with the old one in like ten minutes and so far no leaks! I will be taking it for a spin to make sure but so far it seems a lot better. The line stays firmer and seems to work a lot better already

Back