• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Driver seat - about to rip it out and replace with milk crate

Jeepguy03

NAXJA Forum User
So I've owned a 1990 and 2 2000 model cherokees so far. My previous 2000 made a slight squeak noise occasionally from the seat, but not very noticeable. My current 2000 makes the same noise only louder. The noise only happens when I move side to side or go over bumps. After work today I'm going to investigate it since its getting very annoying. I know that XJ seats are known for breaking, but this doesn't feel broken or sit at a wierd angle. It also doesn't have very much play. The springs don't seem like the problem it seems to be more in the mount area.

I've never messed with XJ seats before. Has anyone had this issue? Anything I should I look for? How is the seat mounted to the slider bracket?

I would have already torn into it but I have Wet Okole seat covers on it and they are kind of a chore to get on and off.

Thanks for any help.

Take my 01 seats in and out all the time or did. My 2 sons tips the scales at 326 and 300 even.LOL
Got tired of patching them and reinforced just about every joint on them. luck

If you rip it out and use a milk crate we will have to change your handle to wafflebut.:gee:

hahaha probably. I'm not sure if the seat is broken or cracked. I only weigh 125 and it doesnt seem to have excessive movement in any direction. I'm just wondering if a bolt is loose or something. Not really sure how the seat is mounted. I know theres 4 bolts that mount it to the floor but whats inbetween those bolts and the seat is what I don't know.

My 2 sons tips the scales at 326 and 300 even.LOL

Together??...or one at a time?

. I know theres 4 bolts that mount to the floor .

XJ seats are known to shear a floor bolt (or rust out a nutsert in the floor). It's pretty simple to remove the seat, 4 1/2" nuts. remove seat, turn over. It will all become crystal clear. While you're there you can check for rust and or broken bolts, and you might even find a couple of bucks in change.

Update:

On my way home from work I decided to make the seat squeak more by moving back and forth to see if I could isolate the noise. ...and the welds snapped. :rolleyes: So I drove home with gangster lean. I took the seat apart and put some screws through the section that broke. Seems to be holding up fine but I'm currently looking for some WJ seats. At least it doesn't squeak anymore, haha.

Back