• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

shifting a 231 by hand

H8PVMT

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
something isn't lined up right when I put my tranny tcase back in so the shift linkage in the cab doesn't work, can anyone tell me (with pics please) what position the lever should be on the tcase when in 4wh and 2wd and what tools if any I would need to do it by hand......2wd with radials sucks butt especially when I work at the top of a steeeeep hill

TIA

Doug

did you hook the linkage up rite, if so i would make sure you tightened it up all the way, the part that ataches to the tcase i mean.

Laying under the vehicle, head towards the front axle, facing the t-case: the shift tab pulled/pushed fully towards the rear of the XJ = 4Lo.

2wd-click-4Hi-click-N-click-4Lo.

thanks joe, i might as well just get your home phone to save me the trouble of posting

pwt... the tranny is off a little so something doesn't anchor in the bracket thats on the frame for it to shift right, still haven't gotten under it to figure it all out but we just got 15 inches of snow and I couldn't go anywhere so it's go time

Crossmember turned 180 degrees? I tried that the last time I changed the tranny mount. That crossmember now sports a couple of nicely stamped letters--"L" and "R".

Crossmember turned 180 degrees? I tried that the last time I changed the tranny mount. That crossmember now sports a couple of nicely stamped letters--"L" and "R".

that's what we thought when it all wouldn't line up right, but flipping it around it wasn't even close, ended up with a bottle jack to get it in right but a few people I have talked to said they've had the same problem

that's what we thought when it all wouldn't line up right, but flipping it around it wasn't even close, ended up with a bottle jack to get it in right but a few people I have talked to said they've had the same problem

Crossmembers are different:

5200 2328 Type 1, Peugot 87-89
5200 3929 Type 2, Aisin AX15 89-90

this is a 2000 aw4 crossmember, pretty sure it's stock from factory

What are you working on again?

when you get a couple minutes, double check your motor mounts-- I've seen them sag enough to let everything hang crooked and not allow for easy alignment of the trans mount and linkages.

brand new brown dogs, it's not an up/down issue it's side to side, I'll post pics in a little bit, might make it easier

christmas3056.jpg

christmas3054.jpg

it's only off by a little bit but it's enough to mess it all up

Picture me laughing my a** off!

Seriously--I thought you had a Renix with a Peugeot BA 10/5 and switched to a AX15.

alzheimer's is hitting you hard Joe

how much damage do you think I could do trying to pry it into the little nub, can work on it inside if i can make it up the hill to work tomorrow

I guess if it was mine I would consider removing those 4 bolts on the body side mount and reposition it with 4 new holes.

Three other options would be: Novak t-case shifter; Advance Adapter shifter bracket; home-made t-case shifter with allthread, heims, and modifying the shifter tab.

You aren't running a t-case drop by any chance?

no, everything is stock....for now :scottm:

Ok.

Drilling 4 new holes is obviously the least expensive, followed by the DIY allthread/heim shifter, next up in price would be the AA bracket, and Novak's shifter is the most expensive option.

i was hoping for a second on the prying notion

i was hoping for a second on the prying notion

Ok, just keep in mind that I'm not there and I don't have to fix anything that breaks!!

I hereby second the prying notion.

Back