• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Sourcing 4wd parts in the junkyard

Bigred455

NAXJA Forum User
First, Im not sure if this is the correct forum or if I should have posted this in the modified section. Mod please move this post if I am in the wrong section.

I have a '01 2wd Cherokee that I will be converting to 4wd. I have a couple of parts interchangeability questions. Labor is not a problem and before anyone asks 'why?' its because I got the 2wd for free. Of course I would prefer to find a whole 4wd jeep of similiar vintage and just grab all the parts but that will most likely be out of the budget so Im going to be doing some junkyard crawling and want to make sure I have my cheat sheet made before I go hunting down parts.

Are all the electronic AW4 transmissions the same? Were there any changes when the Jeeps went OBDII or will a 90 go straight into my '01? If not are the internal parts all the same. Can I use an early trans and get the outputshaft and tailhousing out of a 4wd and swap into my 2wd?

For a transfer case I will just use whatever comes on the back of my 4wd trans.

Front diff I imagine it will be best to use a non vacuum disconnect HP30 which are 92-99 I believe.

I'm gonna be on the lookout for a D44 which I believe came in '87 -'89 models with towing packages?

Right now id like to go with some OME springs, but they sure are proud of them so I may end up with a bastard pack to start with. I dont want to go to high, so I think the S10 pack whihc has been refenced on this board will get me around 3" id like. What year S10 am I looking for to to steal the springs from?

Thanks for the help, George

I've heard you may run into issues with the '01 exhaust manifold hitting the driveshaft with a HP30...but that may be just a rumor. You also need to make sure the gear ratio is the same as your current rear axle.

You can swap just the tailhousing and output shaft to your tranny i believe.

Make sure to get both driveshafts as well, plug the tc linkage and console.

I've heard you may run into issues with the '01 exhaust manifold hitting the driveshaft with a HP30...but that may be just a rumor. You also need to make sure the gear ratio is the same as your current rear axle.

You can swap just the tailhousing and output shaft to your tranny i believe.

Make sure to get both driveshafts as well, plug the tc linkage and console.

That would require a nearly complete tear down, better the OP goes with a 4wd trans/t-case already together, or at least get the 4wd trans and locate the t-case you want.

OP--which t-case you going with?

Which rear axle do you currently have, does it have ABS, and what is the ratio?

I've heard you may run into issues with the '01 exhaust manifold hitting the driveshaft with a HP30...but that may be just a rumor.

I have an '01 and I put a HPD30 with 4.10s in to mine and have no problems with this. If you find a HPD30 from a late 80's model with 4.10s you can always throw a Ford 8.8 with 4.10s in also.

I found on jeepforum that you cannot just swap out the tail shaft and output shaft as they designs are internally different. No worries I'll just go for a 4wd trans and then hopefully it will have a transfer case hanging off the back. Right now I dont have a particular need for a certain transfer case, just need one. lol.

Im not ot worried about gear ratios, we'll see how much I spend on the running gear and that will determine wether I regear both axles or just the one. Im not to sure which ratio it has in it now, but Ill get that sorted before i connecto both drivesahfts.

The problem with a late 80's HP30 is it will have a vacuum disconnect axle and I think id rather regear than convert to non disconnect.

Try and get the bigger U joints with the front axle ABS. IMO much more inportant then LP or HP.
The 8.25 is a nice axle for the rear and a lot easyer to find nowadays.

Back